Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

running a 4 ohm cabinet off of an Ampeg Portaflex head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by facet squared, Dec 5, 2000.

1. is this a safe thing to do? is there anything I could do to the amp taht would make it safe to do if not? My reasoning why I can do this (and have been doing this) is because the amp has an output jack for an 8 ohm extension speaker, but the regular speaker jack is not labeled (the paint probably wore off since this thing is OLD). therefore I'm assuming the amp's minimum safe load is 4 ohms. am I correct in assuming this?

yes...I'm a little confused today....

2. Looking at the schematic, the main speaker is 8, and the extension speaker is hooked in series with it for 16, so it does not sound like a good idea.

Chris

3. nice to see another fugazi fan, by the way.

4. I don't think you were talking to me, but I have been listening to my old Margin Walker tape all week.

Chris

5. fugazi are an amazing band and one of my all time favorites. they getter better with every album too.

6. i agree, although Ian McKaye's move from straightedge to, well, whatever he is doing today is a little unfortunate...

i can still listen to Latin Roots (Steady Diet Of Nothing) and get a shiver up my spine - quite brilliant guitar riffs from both sides!

i can remember the first time i saw them here in NZ, $14 entry (which for an intl. band that here would normally charge around $40!) and they kicked the **** outta the crowd. came back next year and did it again. next year the same. haven't seem 'em since... :(

7. What do you mean? Ian is still "straight edge" in terms of life style. Do you mean the progression from Minor Threat? Well, you can only be 19 for so long... ;) You could see the progression in Embrace, which he started immediately after Minor Threat was over. Fugazi is one the the most innovative bands of the past 15 years in any genre.

I'm listening to Repeater right now (maybe the best post-core album ever made), and just wondering, what kind of rig does Joe Lally use live? Does anyone know?

8. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Fugazi rules!
    Too bad they don't come to Austria more often, I've seen them just once...
    Matthias

BTW I don't listen to any other stuff like this, but they are an exception in every respect.

9. well, i hardly think this thread is about amps anymore, but ian mackaye is still a sonic genius - it's not hardcore punk anymore, but the stuff on end hits is brilliant. i saw them for free over the summer, in a park at night, lightning flashing across the sky. it was incredible.

by the way MW, joe uses ampeg products. i'm not sure what kind of svt he uses but he uses a 6x10 cab, maybe 8x10.

[Edited by dancehallclasher on 12-08-2000 at 06:57 PM]

10. Matthias...there is some stuff coming out now on the post-punk post-hardcore punk (I guess that's a good word for it...punk and all it's labels still get confusing) end of things now that are really good and pretty challenging musically. If you ever get the chance check out the Hal Al Shedad or Les Savy Fav. Both of those bands do the whole mathy thing really well.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:D
    Shouldn't this be moved to Off Topic?

12. Ah, Fort Reno. I missed it (stupid job and everything), but heard that it was phenomenal.

Anyway, the reason I ask is because the last time I saw them Joe was using a GK head on top of an Ampeg 8x10, but his tone has gotten more tubby since then. Makes sense.

FacetSquared - you should check out the new Faraquet record. I got it yesterday, and it's great.

[Edited by Matthew West on 12-09-2000 at 01:47 PM]

13. he's more of a needle user now...bit of a shift from sXe in my books...hasn't affected the music at all though, and yes, the progression is there (although it'd be hard for him to create an un-Ian McKaye-esque sound).

14. Pure myth. Not that it's my business, but it simply isn't true.

"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated..."