1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

running a different head through a powered acoustic cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nothumb, Apr 11, 2009.

1. nothumb

nothumb

Sep 20, 2006
    NYC
    i recently picked up an acoustic 360 head + cab and had an interesting idea about the cab, since the power stage is built in... would it be feasible to run a relatively low-powered tube head, like, say, my '68 bassman through the cab? does anyone ever do this? i could see how maybe you'd need a gate between the two to sort of function as a master volume and use the volume on the head as more of a gain control.

obviously it's not the most practical arrangement out there, just wondering if this could be done and what the logistics might be. it would give me a chance to use the bassman in a live setting where otherwise it would just never be enough power.

2. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I once ran the preamp out from a Barcus Berry bass amp (15 watts/8" sealed speaker) into a 360 bottom: sounded enormous. Any preamp will do, but a power amp output? I'm thinkin' no.

3. No, sorry. You cannot run the output of a tube amp into anything but a speaker, or similar load, or it'll blow up. At least that is usually the case.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You'd want to bypass the Bassman's poweramp, not sure how you'd do that though. Or if it's even possible.