1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Running a gk 800rb not bi amped

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kylebud, May 13, 2010.

1. Kylebud

Kylebud

May 13, 2010
    is it a problem to not run the gk 800rb in biamped mode? Iv seen that the amp has separate outputs for lows and highs. im just wondering if you run just the low output if your missing out on your high frequencies or if it maybe separates the two when you do use both outputs.

thanks

2. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    The low output can be run full range. Just don't turn on the crossover.

3. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    i'd go out on a limb and say MOST people don't run their 800rbs in biamp mode.

4. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    Yep, I'd say that high output is seldom used in most cases.

5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Used my G.K. 800 head full range into a 4 ohm Ampeg SVT 810 cab for 24 years...
    Never a problem.

6. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    i have a fridge and switch between an 800RB and an SVT-CL, depending on my mood. the 800RB holds up pretty well for less 'perceived' volume.

7. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    as long as you are NOT in biamp mode you can run 1x4ohm or 2x8ohm cabs out of the "lo" speaker output. the signal will be full-range.

---i run a 4 ohm Ampeg SVT410hlf, and the 800rb is plenty powerful.

you can even run down to 4ohms 300watts out the "lo" output and another 8ohm cab out the "hi" 100watt speaker output and all the signals will be in full range. Just use the seperate volumes to even out the cabs to your liking.

---I have thought about buying 3 1x12 cabs and running my rig this way just adding 1, 2 or 3 cabs depending on the stage volume I need.

back on topic..once you depress the Bi-Amp switch, the frequency you select on the knob is the crossover point, and frequencies lower go to the "lo" output and those above go to the "hi" output.

--i think the amp sounds a little better full range, but there applications where the bi-amp can be handy, such as when you are using a 2 cabs where either of the cabs either cannot handle a lot of lows or reproduce a lot of highe . often a 15" that doesn't reproduce highs and a 2x10 cab that can't handle lows sort of combination.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i don't think you even have to climb the tree to make that statement - :p

9. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    Reviving old thread....

Does anyone run the 800RB with an 8 ohm cab? Do you ever run out of volume or headroom?

10. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Depends on the room, gig volume, the cabinet your using.
    The G.K. 800 will give 200 watts at 8 ohms, (from the 4 ohm power amp.)
    I've almost always used a 4 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs cause I felt it sounded fuller using the full 300 watts full range, but, over the years I've occasionally ran it with a 8 ohm, 1-15" cab full range with much success.

11. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    Years ago I used three cabinets all eight ohms, two in the 300 watt section and one in the 100 watt section, full range. It was a big sound. They were Hartke cabs, two 410's and one 15. Since the 15 was only rated at 180 I used that cab through the 100 watt section.

Wally