1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Running a head and a Combo at the same time

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zero2492, Mar 15, 2008.

1. zero2492

zero2492

Mar 15, 2008
    I am 15 and I just bought my first amp and cab a Peavey Tour 450 and a Peavey TVX 8 ohm cab. I was wondering what to do with my old 100 watt combo amp with a 15 inch speaker.

Anyone know how to run two amps at once two amps at once without blowing anything up? :meh:

For the record I don't want to turn my old amp into a cab...

2. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    if Your peavey has a line out then go from there to the input of the combo or you can go to the effects return of the combo. I have done both with my rig.

3. zero2492

zero2492

Mar 15, 2008
    Would the tuner send be the same as a line out?

4. No. Your best bet is through the effects loop.

5. zero2492

zero2492

Mar 15, 2008
    which amp through what effects loop? If I put the 100watt speaker through the 450watt amp's effects loop won't that uhh... hurt it?

6. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    If your amp head has a better preamp than the combo, go from the head preamp effects out to the effects in on the combo. That way you don't bypass the preamp of the head, but you do bypass the preamp of the combo. If the preamp in the combo is better, simply do the reverse.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd get an A/B/Y box and put it in front of both amps.

8. zero2492

zero2492

Mar 15, 2008
    I don't really want to spend $50 on a ABY box. Thanks for the idea though.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Actually a cheap Y-splitter cable would work just as well.

10. zero2492

zero2492

Mar 15, 2008

Yeah! Thanks a lot I'll head down to Radio shack and pick one up! :)

11. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I believe that I read somewhere on this forum that a splitter causes some type of impedance problem and there is a signal loss with a splitter. I would do some more research on this forum before buying a splitter.
    I use the line out from my Superfly to my effects return on my SWR Workingman and it works great. Just a standard guitar cable is needed.

12. zero2492

zero2492

Mar 15, 2008
    Thanks a lot for your advice! :) I'll try that I just hope I don't damage anything. :bassist:

13. zero2492

zero2492

Mar 15, 2008
    Yeah, now that I think of it I read somewhere that if you use a cable other than a standard guitar cable there is some problem with stereo you won't get the full signal. Thanks everyone!