1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Running a head without a cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kevcooke, Jan 4, 2007.

1. I know that tube amps can't handle it. However, I wanna record using the DI from my Ashdown ABM300 but can't be bothered lugging the cab up the stairs. So can i use the head without the cab?

2. Yup

Only amps with a tube power section need a load (cab)

3. Yup, as long its not an "all tube" head.

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I have an ABM 500 EVO II and it states in the manual (if you could call it that ;) ) there is no problem running the amp without a load. As the above posters have said, there is no problem running SS amps without speaker loads, it's only amps with a tube power section (not preamp section) where it's deadly to the amp to run without a speaker load.

5. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Interesting as I also have a ABM 500 EVO II and did email there tech support and here is there reply.

Hello - I'm considering purchasing a 500 EVO II One of the
    bands that I work with use in-ear monitors. Can this amp work with no speakers hooked up to them.

Reply: Hi Don
    No, I'm afraid not, you do need to have minimum an 8 ohm load, otherwise
    there is a definite risk of blowing the output power board.
    Regards
    Martin

6. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I was incorrect in my earlier post, it isn't in the manual, but on the FAQ section of Ashdown's site. If you go here and click on Q15 you'll see this text (relevant section in bold):

7. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    what a crap advice.
    in fact no load is an infinite load...
    you can't ruin a modern SS amp with not hooking a speaker.

anybody disagree?

8. and actually the 500 EVO II runs at 4 ohms minimum (not 8) and unless i am terrible at maths 4 is less than 8 :smug:

Dan