Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Running a hybrid amp with no load...???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silky smoove, Apr 11, 2005.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm currently using a Mesa/Boogie M-Pulse 600 and am going into the studio to do some recording next week. Now, I know that running an all-tube amp with no load is a bad thing. What about hybrid amps? The amp in question has a tube preamp that drives a MOSFET power section. Can I safely run this amp with no load?

I could always just plug it into one of our 8 ohm floor monitors, but its more a thing of curiosity in general.

2. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    The only thing you have to worry about when it comes to having a load is the power section. Since it has MOSFET (SS) power section, there usually is no need to worry to have a load being seen by it.

At least, this is what I've always been taught, though I think inthe manual it warns you to ALWAYS have a load connected. I don't think you'll have much to worry about though. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone...

-T

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    You could always RTM for your Mesa, and see what it says.

I have an Ampeg SVT3-PRO hybrid. The manual does note that you can use the amp as a pre-amp only and run to an external power amp. On the circuit diagram, the Pre-amp out jack does not by-pass the power, and in fact, I've used the pre-amp out as a send to the Board.

You should look in the manual to see if that is the case on your amp.

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It's only the power section that you have to worry about so you should be fine.

5. 99.9% of all amps with solid-state sections can be run without a speaker, no problem. There's only an issue if the amp has an output transformer. No current production solid state PA or bass amp does.

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

I recorded our demo to the board from my M-Pulse 600 (when I had it) with no load, and had it on for a couple hours every day for at least a week and it had no problems. You should be all set. And make sure and record with this amp flat, with no Parametric EQ. :) It gets enough booty with the controls set even, especially after it gets mixed-down.