1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Running a Sansamp Tech21 RBI w/ Ampeg SVT3 PRO

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dray, Mar 6, 2008.

1. dray

dray

Dec 21, 2006
    I made a thread about this a little over a year ago, but I'm still confused about some things.

I want to purchase a Sansamp Tech21 RBI, but I need to know something before I do.

I want to run the Sansamp with my SVT3 Pro, but I do NOT want to bypass the preamp on the SVT3 Pro. I also do NOT want to run the Sansamp unit like a pedal (if at all possible).

I want to get a warm, clean tone from the SVT itself and then a gritty, slightly overdriven tone from the Sansamp and blend the two with the blend knob on the Sansamp.

PLEASE tell me how I can do this!

Is it possible to have control of both preamp's without running the Sansamp RBI as a pedal?

Thanks!

- Derek

2. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can use the RBI in the effects loop of your SVT-3. I was looking into them a couple of months ago, and I seem to remember line ins and outs on the back of the RBI.

3. dray

dray

Dec 21, 2006
    The Sansamp has an effects loop send and return, is that what you're referring to?

4. Nope. The RBI has a separate line-level (the same level as your effects send and return) input so you can put it in the effects loop of your amp. I just looked it up on www.tech21nyc.com again, and found this diagram:

http://tech21nyc.com/images/illustrations/rbi_f_b.gif

On the far right side of the image, there is a 1/4" jack labeled "Input 2" with a 20db pad button. To hook up the RBI the way you want to, you would run your bass into the input of your amp, and then take the effects send and plug it into Input 2, and then run the "sansamp out" back to your effects return.

5. dray

dray

Dec 21, 2006
    Yes!

That's what I've been looking for..

And by doing this, I'll be able to blend the SVT tone with the tone that the Sansamp gives me, right?

Thanks alot bro..

6. Yeah, I believe that the blend control is a dry signal blend.

7. It sounds like you want to do with your SVT what I am doing with my GK 1001. I send the effected signal form the RBI to the GK FX send; I don't use the return portion. I then run the uneffected signal from the RBI to the input of the GK. I plug into the front of the RBI but you can also plug into the back. The blending possibilities are unending.

IMG_2230.

8. dray

dray

Dec 21, 2006
    Why wouldn't you just run the RBI through your GK's effects loop? What are the disadvantages to that and the advantages to the way you're doing it?

9. I am in the FX of the GK but I don't return the signal. I am not a techie but when I take the effected signal out of the RBI there is nothing to return to. There is an effects loop on the back of the RBI but in all honesty I just have not experimented using it. :) i guess I should. :bassist:

The main advantage I see with my set up is having an effected signal and an uneffected signal and I control the blending. The level on the RBI is active and the preamp volume on the GK is active.

EDIT: I just went and read the RBI manual because I knew there was a reason I did not use the RBI loop. The manual says to use the loop when connecting external effects. I never considered the GK power amp to be an "effect". Again this could be untechieness simply not understanding how effects loops work. But my set up works great for me.

10. Steve Henager

Steve Henager

May 30, 2008
    HI all
    I have a sansamp bass driver tech 21
    anyways..its not working and i would wonder if anyone would be so kind as to pop the back off of yours and take a pic and send it to me. im wondering if the wires in mine are missing something, like a connection...i think its for a 9 volt is it not? anyways just asking and trying to get this gift someone gave me 9 years ago to work..i love them they sound like a full bass rig
    thanks in advanced
    steve

:bassist:

11. jojo99

jojo99

Oct 18, 2005
    is it working with an a/c adapter (wallwart)?

12. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99

Sep 17, 2007
    S. FLORIDA
    Hey Guys, if you ever have any technical questions about the SansAmp/Tech21 gear, shoot Lloyd a message at info@tech21nyc.com

He answers quickly & is a very cool guy to run gear questions by :D

13. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    I'd suggest using a Boss LS-2 or equivalent to mix the two preamps. It works MUCH better than plugging into the send of the GK loop. I run bass into RPM, uneffected out into GK input, RPM effected out into one of the LS-2 loops, GK send into LS-2 input, LS-2 out into GK loop return - blend to suit. Keeps each preamp sounding best.

14. Thanks for the cool idea! :) But now of course I will have to go and buy another pedal.:meh: