running a SM-400s mono

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowfrez, Feb 21, 2002.

1. I just won a SM-400s on ebay today an i have some questions about runing it bridged mono.

I see there are banana plugs on the back of the amp, do i have to use these to run it in the bridged mono mode?

Also, is ther eanywhere i can find a speakon to banana cable?

I'm using this head to run my SWR 8x8 (newer version with speakon connections)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks for any feedback in advance :)
  2. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca

you just won a great amp. it's a classic for sure. yes, you need to use a banana plug when running it bridged mono. the 1/4" plugs are used when you want to run stereo.

i'm not sure where you can get banana to speakon speaker cables, but i'm sure they are being made somewhere. i'd check with some pro audio stores in your area.

3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Wow, you won it, huh? Nothing like a free amp! If you were just the high bidder, OTOH, you'd have to pay the high-bid price. That's not really winning, is it, no matter what EBay calls it? ;)

To answer your question, you can order custom cables from or you can cruise to the nearest Guitar Center, buy a banana cable and replace one end with a speakon connector. Ridiculously easy, you don't even need to solder. Just be sure you understand which leads to use.
  4. That sounds like a good idea Boogie, how can i tell which end is the pos/neg?, and does this really matter when you bridge this amp?
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The speaker should tell you what the hot and ground leads need to be connected to on the speakon connector. Look on the back of the cab near the jack. Yeah, it has to be right or it won't work at all. The bananas are just red/hot, black/ground, of course.
  6. i looked at my henry and i can't see any kind of voltage polarity. It also says nothing about it in the owners manual.

7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Hmmm. Interesting. Most of 'em have the pin coordinates printed right next to the speakon jacks. I'd call SWR customer service (very good, IMO) and aske 'em.