running a synth through a bass setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickname, Jun 3, 2005.

1. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    I've just purchased the Kork microKorg synth. I'd like to hook it up to my bass rig which is powered by a ampeg 1600 watt. Would this damage anything?
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    nope... keyboard and bass amps are voiced very similarly. it will be fine.
  3. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    awsome! its gonna be so loud!
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  5. 00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
    ive linked a wah pedal with a keyboard, it was pretty cool
  6. Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    Just watch the signal level when you turn up the resonance on the filter(s)... Synths can give out quite a strong signal sometimes.
    I've got a Jen SX1000 that I put through an old combo of some kind, I had it quite loud, but wasnt distorting. I set the LFO pretty quick, set it to change the filters frequency, turned the resonance high and as the synth sweeped down the frequencies there was a loud POP and then no sound. I had blown the speaker right out.

Don't know if this is the case with modern digital synths, my one is easily 20 years old and probably doesnt have any type of output regulator :) just something to bear in mind.
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I run a Poly 800 through a full range bass cab frequently. It is a real good idea to get a full understanding of your synth and how it's patches work at low volume ... synth's can be very destructive when they get loud ...

For live use, you might want to investigate a midi floor controller. Something where you can press 1 large 'dark-stage' friendly button to switch patches. It's pretty easy to select 81 instead of 18 on my old Korg and there is a big difference betwee the sounds stored in each ...
  8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Two blown speakers may they rest in peace.
    Synth waveforms (I think) have so much more content. Years ago I was using a Korg synth through my old Eden 800, Eden 15, SWR-10 stack and.....smoke. The amount of low frequency swath on some patches are 5X fatter than a bass guitar.. Use plenty of power and LOTS of speakers. Like 15's and 18's if your cranking loud. (you should have seen the cone creasing on that ten, yikes)

anyway, check it out in rehearsal and keep a CLOSE eye on cone excursion and note your volume limitations. the excitement of being onstage in the moment can often lead to unintentional excess.
  9. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, it ought to sound fine, but be careful about levels.

I run a Clavia Nord Lead and E-Mu Proteus through a pair of Acme B-2's. Very nice.

I also run a Warmoth strat with EMG 81's into a Johnson J-Station (like a Line6 guitar Pod) into the Acme's. Most guitarists that have heard this set-up have nearly soiled their pants.
  10. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    +1 on all of the above comments. I use my SM500/Epifani 112 combo with my softsynth setup and it is amazing. IMO, the real problem with the synth issue is that they can put out such low and pure signals that it is like feedign a big DC bis to the amp, and WHAMMO - there go the voice coils. I'd really think about a 30hz HPF between the synth and the amp.

And do beware of letting guitar players get ahold of a good bass rig. They tend to freak out. My little Clarus/Flite setup has been emulated by 2 guitar playing friends and they can't stop telling me how much they like it. Hard to believe that guitar players are late in realizing how bad most guitar amps are :bag: