running an amp in stereo mode

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Dec 19, 2005.

1. bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey everyone, I was wondering if your running an amp in stereo mode do you have to have two cabs to run it in that? I was thinking about getting a eden wt800 and was wondering if I would be able to use is with just one cab in stereo mode for smaller gigs. Is this possible?
  2. Last I checked, the definition of "stereo" implies two speakers. :eyebrow: So unless the cab has two (or more) speakers, which are split to run independently, the amp should be run in mono or bridged mono.

There are indeed some cabs made with jacks that can be run either in mono mode or stereo mode. They are relatively rare however. I have a Roland 4x12 cab which is made like that, it was probably intended to sit under a Jazz Chorus amp which is stereo...
  3. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    I remember either asking ampeg or on talkbass whether it was safe to do this before. Either way the answer was yes it can be done safely.

I think the problem of not having a speaker connected to a power amp or power amp section arises with full tube amps (Im assuming the eden has a solid state power section)

Just to be sure I would keep the gains and outputs down on the channel I wasnt using.

(think you might of mis interpretted the question bill)
  4. Maybe I didn't quite interpret the original question correctly....but yes, most stereo amps can be run with only one side connected. However this isn't "stereo" and half the amp's power capability is sitting there unused, that's why we go to "bridged mono" mode if the amp has that function. Then all of the amp's power can go to a single speaker--but then it's no longer "stereo" :D
  5. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    I think your right though. If your going to run one side of stereo you might as well run in mono bridge mode.

There wont be a danger posed to your cabinet if your amp is a higher wattage output than your cabinet is rated for. So long as your careful with the level you run at and dont end up supplying more power than your cab can handle.

Just keep the amp in mono bridge run it at a low level because its a smaller gig and then bask in the glory of the amount of headroom that you have.

In other words ......

Say you were playing in a coffee house and the volume required is quite low. If your going to run your amp at certain low volume level on one side of a stereo channel. You can run it at the same low volume in monobridge mode. The speaker is still going to see the same amount of power either way. The only difference is that you will have more headroom in mono bridge mode. Which might or might not be an issue.

Does that make sense or am i confusing everyone?