Running an amp with "no load"...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeorgiaHonk, Aug 12, 2004.

1. I bought a new amp (Peavey Max 450) a couple of months ago, but since I had no cabinet to use with it I had been using a borrowed combo. I sold the combo to help fund a new cab, which won't arrive for another week or two. For practices in meantime I know I can use my SABDDI pedal to go through the PA, no problem.

However, can I now begin to use my new (but unused) head, running it direct to the PA but with no speaker load? In other words, does an amp require a speaker load? If so, would running direct from an XLR out jack to a PA board be considered an acceptable speaker load? I'm itching to get some experience with playing this amp, since all I've been able to do since I've owned it is look at it.

Thanks in advance,
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Your amp has a solidstate poweramp section, which is safe to run without load.
    Tube poweramps, on the other hand, should never run without load.
  3. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Ditto. XLR to PA... thats what I do for recording, and I dont have to drag my cabs all the way across the room to the PA. Just start with the PA volume down on the channel your using... it could be surprisingly loud, and your gonna wanna control that. Not sure if the Peavey head has a gain knob for the XLR or not.....