Running bass thru guitar processor to record...okay?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mofungo, Apr 26, 2002.

1. mofungo

mofungo

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I am about to purchase my first bass and don't want to mess up my recording equipment.

I'm a guitarist that wants to learn bass also. Currently my recording setup consists of the following:

57 Reissue Stratocaster or 00 Rincon > Line 6 Pod Pro > Soundblaster Audigy Platinum > Pro Tools LE.

When I get my bass, I want to plug it into the Pod and start recording. While I don't think this will be a problem, I thought I would ask first. It seems that I've read somewhere that some people had used their bass with the guitar version of the Pod.

Thanks!

-mofungo

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    There are no rules, Man. If it sounds good, it IS good.

3. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Obviously you'll have to make new patches to get a good sound but it should sound great depending on the bass you purchase and the amount of tweaking you put into it. I record my bass through a behringer v-amp2 (basically the same as a POD). If the POD has a bassman amp model it should sound good with bass. I also like using a Roland V20 amp model for a more "high fi" tone.

4. mofungo

mofungo

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Thanks for the confirmation!

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sure, I did that before I got my Bass POD. I don't think the Bassman model sounds very good for bass, at least not for my tastes, but oddly enough, the Marshall JTM45 model (what is that, British Blues?) sounded great for a couple tracks I did a while back. Also, if you just want a direct sound, you could use the Tube Preamp model and EQ to taste.

6. My problem with the Bass Pod (Pro) is that in the shop where i could get one it costs more than 1.5 times of the price the Pod (Pro) costs

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i record my bass part with a tubeman plus that is a guitar preamp and with the line out of my little 12 w solid state marshall guitar preamp. i have had GREAT results.

8. I do bass a lot of different ways (mic the cab(s), direct, processed, etc...). mchildree is right though...but before I do anything, I plug the bass right into the mixer/soundcard/preamp/whatever and see if it works. I work for the simplist answer though...ymmv.