Running bass thru guitar processor to record...okay?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mofungo, Apr 26, 2002.

1. mofungo

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I am about to purchase my first bass and don't want to mess up my recording equipment.

I'm a guitarist that wants to learn bass also. Currently my recording setup consists of the following:

57 Reissue Stratocaster or 00 Rincon > Line 6 Pod Pro > Soundblaster Audigy Platinum > Pro Tools LE.

When I get my bass, I want to plug it into the Pod and start recording. While I don't think this will be a problem, I thought I would ask first. It seems that I've read somewhere that some people had used their bass with the guitar version of the Pod.

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    There are no rules, Man. If it sounds good, it IS good.
  3. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Obviously you'll have to make new patches to get a good sound but it should sound great depending on the bass you purchase and the amount of tweaking you put into it. I record my bass through a behringer v-amp2 (basically the same as a POD). If the POD has a bassman amp model it should sound good with bass. I also like using a Roland V20 amp model for a more "high fi" tone.
  4. mofungo

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Thanks for the confirmation!
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sure, I did that before I got my Bass POD. I don't think the Bassman model sounds very good for bass, at least not for my tastes, but oddly enough, the Marshall JTM45 model (what is that, British Blues?) sounded great for a couple tracks I did a while back. Also, if you just want a direct sound, you could use the Tube Preamp model and EQ to taste.
  6. My problem with the Bass Pod (Pro) is that in the shop where i could get one it costs more than 1.5 times of the price the Pod (Pro) costs
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i record my bass part with a tubeman plus that is a guitar preamp and with the line out of my little 12 w solid state marshall guitar preamp. i have had GREAT results.
  8. I do bass a lot of different ways (mic the cab(s), direct, processed, etc...). mchildree is right though...but before I do anything, I plug the bass right into the mixer/soundcard/preamp/whatever and see if it works. I work for the simplist answer though...ymmv.