1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Running Four cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sqeejo12000, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Lubbock
    Okay so here is my Idea....(not sure how I am going to pull it off but I want to)

I have two Avatar 2x12 cabs that are 8 ohm. I want to add another two 2x10 Avatars to the mix both 8 ohm. Now I had planned on building my own head with a nice 2 channel power amp that will handle a 4 ohm load per channel. But I am not sure how this will work with the preamp selected. I want to use the Tech21 SansAmp Rackmount.

Sound like a good idea? I would like to have a stack on either side of stage to help moniter for my guitar players. Mainly just a curiosity. Never ventured in on more than just two cabs.:help:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    HEAVY, and loud. It can work.

3. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Lubbock
    Yeah I know I want Heavy... But the real decision is going to be which PowerAmp. I want to keep it under 1000.00 USD ANy suggestions on the Power Amp?

4. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia

If you want really HEAVY, look for used old Peavey CS-800.
    :bag:

5. doctec

doctec

Mar 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    If you've got a $1000. budget for the power amp, there are lots of choices. I've got a QSC PLX 3402 (3400 Watts) that I bought new for less than $1K and it's worked out great for me.

6. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Carvin has a good price/performance ratio.

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Have you tried this with the 2 cabs you have now? You may not like the results at a gig. I have giged, both split cabs and split dual-rigs. Splitting the low freq. gets kinda tricky, they tend to cansel each other out, cause strange, time delay problems,(on stage) and make a boomy stage-sound worse. I really wanted it to work, but the sound on most stages freaked me, (and the whole band) out. You could just stack your 2x12s with the bottom cab sideways, toward the guitarst.

8. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

You definitely can experience some very noticeable phase cancellation of the low end making your bass sound incredibly tinny. And it will vary greatly with speaker placement and the individual room.