Running Hartke amps with no speakers??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scotius2001, Oct 1, 2004.

1. I'm pondering the purchase of a Hartke head for use as a practice amp and possibly to use in some scenarios as a preamp for my stage system which would entail running the amp with no speakers. The Hartke manuals state "it is never a good idea to power up any amplifier that is not connected to loudspeakers". Does anyone know if this is a problem with these amps? I know it ins't with SWR heads. Just curious...
  2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's OK so long as you are able to turn the master volume off so that there is no signal going into the power amp section and tap the signal out of an effects loop or direct send.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a good number of solid state amps are available today that are able to run without a load or at infinity ohms. If a specific manufacturer makes the statement like hartke did, i would stay away from it if it's your plan to run it without speakers from time to time.
  4. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Hartke amps are my laast favorite bass amp I've ever played through...I owned the 3500 for a while. Harsh and unmusical they are. Some amps have a speaker off switch (SWR?). The mute switch on some amps may still allow everything to work but the power amp...don't know this for sure...but maybe.