1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Running Ipod thru PA

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by oldmanp03, Jan 21, 2013.

  1. oldmanp03


    Oct 7, 2010
    What is the best way to do this? I have an Allen and Heath MixWizard.
  2. Floyd Eye

    Floyd Eye Banned

    Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Straight into an unused channel.
  3. Richard_P_Harve


    May 19, 2011
    Some boards (mixers) have stereo inputs for things like CD players and iPods. Mine does and that's how I connect.
  4. use a stereo return, or a channel on your console...

    personally i use a 1/8" TRS to dual 1/4" TS, into a radial ProAV1...then use an XLR from there into the console.
  5. alembicguy

    alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner of iron ore Supporting Member

    Jan 28, 2007
    These also work fantastic!
  6. oldmanp03


    Oct 7, 2010
    I should add, that I have always used a 1/8" to 1/4" and gone straight in to the line in on a channel. Now for some reason it sounds horrible, not in stereo.

    So if I am using this method, is there something I should look for when buying the cord? LIke the number of stripes on it or something?
  7. If you use a 1/8" stereo to 1/4" stereo cable in most mixer channels, you end up playing the Left channel in both speakers which will sound bad for any recording that was mixed to stereo.

    Try an 1/8" stereo plug to a 1/4" mono plug. (two stripes to one stripe, but usually bought as an adapter, not as a cable) The plug will combine the L-R signals into one mono signal.

    Or use a "Y" cable and take up two channels on the mixer.
  8. testing1two

    testing1two Gold Supporting Member

    Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I use the Apple composite AV cable so I don't have to pull audio from the iPod's headphone amp.
  9. DWBass

    DWBass The Funkfather

    Most mixers have a stereo RCA input that says "cd/tape in". Just need an adapter cable wit a 1/8" stereo on 1 end and RCA stereo ends on the other end.


  10. oldmanp03


    Oct 7, 2010
    THanks for the answers guys....the answer about going from stereo to mono adapter answers what my problem was.

    But going to look at some of the other solutions, to see if they work better also.

    Appreciate it.
  11. modulusman

    modulusman Banned

    Jan 18, 2004
    If A spare channel is available I use it instead. This way you can use the channel strip EQ.
  12. Keithwah


    Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    I always use a Rapco LTI-Blox to mono the signal into a balanced output and then I run it into a full channel.
  13. Hi.


    I've always had the habit of adjusting and EQing the PA signal chain with a known tune with a balanced frequency behaviour.

    Obviously, if a "boom-box" bass is the desire for some reason, then the double or triple EQing could be justified. IMHO anyway.

    IME the reason to use full channels instead of the tape-in or stereo channels is to be able to have AUX feeds, or to use sliders, ie. more control.
    Perhaps it's just me?

  14. modulusman

    modulusman Banned

    Jan 18, 2004
    Well I don't use an I-pod. Usually break music is off of the BLs computer or a walkman type CD player. Since the original recordings are mixed different sometimes I need to add/subtract more bass or whatever. Easier to do with a channel strip instead of screwing with the overall graphic EQ settings.
  15. uhdinator


    Apr 20, 2010
    1/8 TRS stereo to 2 1/4 into 2 channels panned L/R if PA is wired in stereo

    1/8 TRS stereo to 1/4 TS mono into 1 ch panned center if PA is wired mono
  16. Hactar


    Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Similar to the Radial ProAV, I use a Whirlwind pcDI, and it's great.
    Can sum to mono, and has ground lift if needed.
    Whirlwind pcDI
  17. seanm

    seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

    Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The tape in on my mixer does go to a channel strip, which is a nice feature. I do find that I have to jack the volume on the mp3 player though.
  18. Vinny D

    Vinny D

    Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    This is what I also use, works the best IMO.
  19. Doug R

    Doug R

    Jan 27, 2011
    Spokane, WA USA
    I went to Radio shack and they put together the correct cord & adaptor combination for me for under 10-bucks.

    It takes the 1/8" stereo output from my mp3 player and converts it to a a 3-foot patch cord with a 1/4" mono plug on the other end.

    Just plug one end into your music player and the other end into one channel of your mixer and you get nice clean music, left-and-right channels combined, for your breaks.

    This is not brain surgery guys.
  20. DWBass

    DWBass The Funkfather

    I prefer a stereo mix so I'm sticking to the cd/tape input!