Running Kick Drum Out Of Bass Rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big Benner, May 5, 2004.

1. Here's what I'm thinking: micing up the kick drum and running it though a Beringher preamp and then into the EX loop on my SWR SM 900 going into Yorkvile 2X10 and 1X15 cabs. There's a full parametric eq on the Beringher and running it through the FX loop won't alter my bass sound.

I'd like to try this because our 8 ch P.A. has 4 1X12inch cabs, two for the monitors and two for the mains with a total of 500 watts for the whole system, so I figure that's great for all the vocals and guitars, even snare drum but what about the low end?

Anyone see any problems with this?

What cheap mic could I get for the kick drum?

Thanks guys
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    an sm57 will work in a pinch. I have run drum sound with only 2 sm57's. You might just buy an inexpensive single 15 cab and add it to the PA. It will be a much more worthy investment. I mean, you will need more eventually. So don't sacrifice your bass rig. If I remember correctly, the fx loop is the connection from preamp to poweramp. So if you plug something in there, you will cut off your bass's sound.
  3. This is what I think but I'll try it out later on tonight to make sure it works: the SWR has an FX blend knob, so 0% is full bass and 100% is whatever is coming into the FX return jack, so I plug the Kick/Beringher pre into the FX return and turn up the EX blend knob until I get the desired volume from the kick. My bass signal should be unaffected until I go over 50% (12 o'clock) at which the more I turn the knob towards 100% my bass signal will decrease.

The only reason I'm proposing this is that I won't have to spend any money right now on extra cabs and poweramps , except for the microphone, and if I can use a SM57 then I can borrow from a friend.

But maybe you're right in saying I should take care of my rig,... this might be too much for the amp/speakers.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It might be just a bit too much demand on your amp. I mean, you are just going to have that much more signal going through the amp. The kick drum can be the hardest thing to reproduce properly. Giving you bass amp this kind of duty is likely to either hurt your speakers, amp, or both. It would definitely be worth it to get additional PA. If you are going to do it eventually, might as well start now.

One rule of thumb: If something is made for a job, it is always going to be best at that job.
    good luck with it!
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Cheaper to get a separate poweramp, mic and cab for the kick drum, since you'll likely damage your bass rig and have to replace components. Your amp and cab aren't designed for the kind of stress that a kick drum will cause it.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've done that a few times as a band-aid to get more kick drum into the room, works OK and I don't think it strains the bass rig at all. If a bass amp can handle slap and pop, it can easily handle a kick drum signal.

I agree the proper long term solution is beef up the PA to handle the kick.
  7. That's my thought too. I do admit that we should add more equipment to the PA, but this doesn't cost us a thing, and it's not like we're cranking the whole sound,... all I want to do is give the kick and little more "homph" to compete with the mains of the PA which are 2 1X12 speakers on stands powered by 250 watts. Just to give you a sense of volume, nothing from the drums are being miked,... they're loud enough already. And the guitar players have fender 1X12 combo amps and we'll mic them up just to give the a little more spread, not volume.

And if the band starts to play more and more gigs than the PA will most diffently be upgraded.

Thanks for your help guys.
  8. Try it, with a cynical eye, and if it works, with no ill effect to your rig...then great. If not...ask the band to chime in for an extra 15 or even an 18-bin to add to the PA.
    Best of luck!
  9. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas

...if it doesn't work...

...have the band pay for the repairs to your poor rig!
  10. gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Big Benner, NICE name :p I'd go with an 18.