1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Running more than one EQ?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jacobrownoly, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

Jul 27, 2013
    NEPA
    Send all vocals to sub group only. Keep faders down. Go from the sub out into compressor. Go from the compressor out into a line in on a unused channel. 11/12, is what I would use.

2. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    Are you able to do this on the Mackie CFX12?

3. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    Bump :)

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Here is another thing I do that when I began doing this, I was told would never work. I have 1 dual channel 31 band EQ. I use one channel for the drummer's monitors and one for the guitarist/singer's monitors. None on my monitor since I am not a giant p**** about my monitor mix. I use the channel strip 4 band on my mixwiz for everything else. I also run no compression. I regularly get compliments on my mix and the kicks sound freaking huge. I close mic everything in a huge drum kit.

My point is with decent equipment all kinds of different things can work well, regardless of whether or not they should.

5. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    The help that I am looking for is if I am able to link a compressor to a sub group channel on the Mackie CFX 12? I want to compressor all the vocals on one sub group.

Many thanks!

6. I'm very confused here as there seems to be an undercurrent about the purpose of 32 band eq - people are using it as a clever tone control - as in the comment about not having one on your own mons while the guitar and drummer do?

Most people use a 32band eq, in stereo on the feed to the PA - with the intention of sorting out the room. A recent gig in an odd shaped venue gave us no gain vefore it took off on every vocal mic. In the end, we sucked out a deep notch at 220Hz and it was stable. As we had to do this on all 4 vocal mics, it's the room, so we went back to our usual eq and notched the same frequency using the output graphic - getting rid of the horrible honk the room had. The benefit is then when you are using your channel eq to give a nice sound, it works. The original question was asking this. Sort the room out first, find the nulls and hotspots and make it flat(isn). Then you shape the sound on a one off basis. If for one source you add back something at the room nasty frequency, that req will be emphasised, but only that single source.

On monitors, a 32 band graphic is for maximum gain before feedback. You can set a smiley curve, or mountain peak, but in general, you don't need a 32 band for that - because that's tonal preference NOT a need for accurate, frequency specific cut or boost. Very few people would want fader 10 up, fader 11 down, fader 12 up - would they? A three band eq with swept mid would probably be just as good, and easier to adjust.

32 band graphics, in my own view are fixing tools, not tone controls.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    PEQs on the other guys monitors so I can increase volume without feedback. I hear myself just fine and rarely need more in my monitors. They seem to always want more. To me, the primary reason for EQ is to eliminate feedback in the monitors.

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    And no smiley face man. Generally a dip between 400-600 Hz and 4-6 Khz. Obviously depending on the room.

9. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    What else would you call an EQ?