Running out of GAS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jive1, Dec 18, 2003.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Well it seems like a strange thing is going on. The GAS looks like it is going away. Part of it it is due to a conscious decision, and the other is from the circumstances at hand. I made a list of stuff I wanted to get about 3 years ago, and I have just about all the "essential" stuff on that list. Sure it's changed within that three years, but none the less, it looks like the "mission" has been accomplished.

I look around my office/studio and say to myself, "If I knew in my 30's I'd have something like this, wouldn't have dreaded getting older as much". Anyway, I seem to have plenty of gear for my needs. I'm happy with what I have, and now it's time to start playing with my toys/tools instead of aquiring more.

I realized that I spend too much time reading reviews, browsing classifieds, sales, EBay, etc. I have spent plenty of money already, and it's time to use that money for other things like quality time with my wife, charity, home repairs, etc. Plus, I'm running out of space in my little house. My life is cluttered enough, and I don't want to add to it.

So I told my wife, and now I'm stating publicly that I am taking a year off from buying gear beginning in 2004 (I only have a couple weeks left to buy stuff :D). I'm not gonna be unrealistic by vowing it off forever, but a year looks doable. I'll still offer reviews on the various forums and answer questions. And I'll still do some mods to the stuff I already have.

Wish me luck
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    We're talking major items, right? You're still free to buy strings?

Well, shucks, there are dozens of those you gotta try out, from GHS to Ken Smith.

There's GAS everywhere, man; just give it up.

3. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Quit messing with my sense of satisfaction! ;)

Funny thing is that my wife bought me some Ken Smiths in bulk for Christmas.

Yeah it's just major stuff. I still might get a bridge or pickup or something like that. No basses, amps, effects, etc.
  4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have started to use Beano, works like a charm
  5. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    I know I'm derailing my own thread. But, whenever I go to a gas station to buy cigarettes or something, the attendant will ask something like "Did you get gas?" My response is, "Sorry, I didn't think you'd be able to smell it in here"
  6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA

7. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from your profile, I see you have something like TWENTY-TWO (22!!!) basses!!! :eek: Environmental activists must give you a hard time, since half of the world's rainforests now reside in your house! And I guess the other half is split between JT and Brad Johnson! :D ;)

Wow, 22 basses!!!
  8. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    good point.

but i think you'll agree, G.A.S. defies logic.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    That's me. Except, I don't even really have interest in playing other basses. I would probably make a buy if the right fretless 5 came along. But other than that, I want for nothing.

I have no desire at all for amps, cabs or anything else. I am down to one bass, one amp and one cab and loving it.

The last few shows I have worked outside the church, I take the Q5 plug it straight into the SVT with a 115. No compressor, no effects. Nothing. Just a bass and an amp. I think I sound better than I ever have.
  10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

No need to for Beano here,
    with 2 kids in college, GAS is
    just not an option. I still have 6 semesters to pay for, I have paid for 10 already. :bawl:

So I don't dwell on it. Too depressing ...
  11. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Hey Thor-if it makes you feel any better my dad will have 4 kids in College in the next 2 years. Currently my step brother and my real sister are Sophmores in College-one is going to Butler University and one's goin to i think University of Southern Indiana or University of Evansville. The other 2 are my stepbrother [#2] and I. Hopefully i'll be goin to Roosevelt University/Chicago College of Performing Arts and then he'll go to some school for sports.

Original Post: Best of luck and i wish i was in your position. I have a few more peices before i consider to have all the essentials. E.g. An upright bass, a fretless 5, rack based modular rig [humor me i have a bassman 200 right now]. That's all and best of luck.
  12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hey jive1, I'm right there with you dude. I made a cchhmm... er.. (clearing my throat) commitment to downsize recently. It was getting to be a problem anyway, not being able to get across the room without bumping into an amp.

And, I started to realize, there's only so many blackface Fender amps you can own before they start getting redundant. After a while, one pretty much starts to sound like the other.

I got "one" good blackface now, that I modded to be able to get just about any push-pull-6L6 sound.

And one good Marshall, same concept.

The basses though, now that's another story. First of all, there's a different "threshold" for that activity. Amps are a dime a dozen, if I really needed a good one I could just walk over to the Amp Store and buy one. Basses in general (at least the kind I have) aren't replaceable like amps are.

Nevertheless, I have sold off at least three of the ones I didn't use very often, but now we're getting into the good stuff, like the Roscoes and F basses. It would seriously pain me to have to get rid of one of those, even though it looks like two or three of them will have to go (eventually).

Ah what the hell, if I had a nickel for every great bass I've sold over the years...

Only problem is, now that I'm getting older it's taking a little longer for my fingers to get used to a new instrument. :)
  13. IMHO Making a big promise in public just makes it so much easier to fall victim to gas. You're building up something where the more you focus on it, the less you'll have power to control.

I've made countless "statments of intent" to abstain from buying equipment to my girlfriend. Only to have it slap me back in the face.

Just look at Bush and his "Read my lips" satement.

It seems to happen everytime I tell someone I'm not getting any more stuff. Sorry if I'm coming a cross like a negative nelly but I have to vent.

Anyway good luck!