Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

running out of options. Need your suggestions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayajew, Aug 24, 2002.

1. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm really trying to get another bass but honestly I can't find one that I want to buy, in my budget ($2,200). I want a bass with an original sound but I can't find one so easily. I was looking at Wals but they're too expensive, I like that sound though. I can't think of any more bass companies that I like, any of their models which have a original sound and feel that I like. Can anybody help me think of some basses to check out? I'm willing to try anything but not from the following companies.

Musicman
    Hamer
    Squier
    Fender
    Ibanez
    Ken Smith
    Tobias
    Spector
    Dean
    Warwick
    Sadowsky
    Alembic
    Groove Tools
    Conklin
    Carvin
    Peavey
    Rickenbacker
    Fodera
    Mike Lull
    G&L
    Yamaha
    Zon

I'm begging for any kind of help and suggestions here. Thanks in advance for helping a fellow musician out.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I may have 2 advices, but they're both a little rough. Sorry.

-If you don't know what to buy you probably need nothing. Keep your money.

-If you know what you'd like but can't find it, go see any good luthier and have him build your dream instrument. If you don't know what you'd like, see advice #1.

3. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well,, you could always get a Harmony:rolleyes:

Dude, have you played ALL of those basses you have listed above?? Some of those are flat out KILLER!! Sadowsky, Zon, Ken Smith, Fodera,,. Not many other hi end basses I can think of other than MTD, F bass, Elrick and Modulus. Seriously,, don't limit yourself to just a few,, you might end up skipping the perfect bass for yourself.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm just really upset that the Wal was too expensive, I really want it. I'm trying to think of other options, a different sounding bass. Something out of the ordinary.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A used Wal is well within your budget.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

AN Ashbory will surely do for something different in both feeling and sound.
    And you'll still ave money for another great instrument.