Running SansAmp BDDI into power amp...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sgtthump, Apr 18, 2005.

1. In another thread, someone mentioned that the BDDI pedal doesn't hit a power amp hard enough to use it to it's full potential. But I guess there's a mod to the BDDI to make it put out more juice or something?

Is anyone using the BDDI with a power amp/speaker cab for a rig? Do you have any problems with this?

If there is a mod, can you explain it?

Thanks dudes...

2. I have to run a bddi thru a compressor or preamp to boost the level enough to get any real volume out of my power amp.

Never heard of a mod for it but would like to.
  3. That's strange. I wonder why they did it that way? Does your BDDI have switches to go between "line" and "instrument" levels on both the XLR output and the 1/4" output?

I've seen some pics of BDDI's that didn't have this, so I'm not sure if this is a NEW feature to fix the problem we're talking about or what...

4. Here's one with the switches (like mine):

Here's one without:

Were these switches added recently to increase the levels for using it with a power amp? I have no idea...

5. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    A-ha! Very interesting, I have the older one without the switches. Must be a fairly recent addition since I think mine is only about a year or so old.
  6. Really!?!?!? Hopefully what I guessed is right!!! I emailed Tech 21 today and I'll give them a few days to respond, then post their response in this thread. I asked them if those switches are a recent addition and if they were added to allow a player to use the pedal with a poweramp.

Hopefully, they say YES!!! :) Also, I've seen people complaining about having to unscrew the panel to change the battery. Well, mine has a plastic battery door that doesn't require a screw to take off. Seems like they might be listening to the players.

7. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, with mine you have to unscrew the whole bottom panel to get at the battery (though it's not an issue for me since I either use phantom power or my pedalboard power supply.) Cool to see they keep improving their stuff!
  8. If BDDI is the DI box from Sanamp then I experienced it.

I used it for my acoustic gigs to enhance the tone in-conjunction with a small tube pre amps through the return (in) signal on my SWR Super Redhead. The sound is OK and trouble free. This will by-pass the preamp section of the amp and go in directly to the power amp.
    In another word, I am playing it with the power amp but this DI do need a preamps.
    The reason for the additional tube preamp is due to SWR return's (in) signal requires stronger mV but some different amps may not need this additional pre as SWR does.

I don't understand your problem well so my reply may not help you at all.
  9. Julius73

Feb 23, 2004
  10. So whats the verdict? The link above seems to indicate that a SABDDI can be used as the preamp directly before a power amp, wheras this thread seems to say it wont.

Is the difference the two different versions, as sgtthump suggested?

My backup plan should my ABM500 die is SABDDI direct into poweramp. I have one of the older SABDDI (without the third switch), so Im now worried that my backup plan might not work as I initially thought!
  11. I have the same version of the SABDDI as you.

It is my understanding (although I have not actually done the mod to mine) that your back-up plan WOULD work as long as you modified your SABDDI in accordance with the earlier thread. I suspect that you could actually use your SansAmp "as is" in an emergency as the only difference would be the level your Power Amp would be getting from the the preamp, but I'm sure it would get you through a gig and it's certainly better than no amp. :D :D
  12. Thanks! That really doesn't answer the question, though... The original poster in that thread didn't even mention having a problem with weak output when going into a power amp, did he???

I'm guessing that the "mod" is for folks with the older version and the newer version with the "line" and "inst" switches might be able to power an amp better.

I emailed Tech 21 and I'll post their reply in this thread.

13. If you mod an older version to have a huge output, would that be too strong to use in front of a bass amp head? Seems like it would be better to get the new version that has the switch, but what do I know? :)
  14. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If you use the newer one with the "line" and "instrument" switch it works fine. I do it. If you have the older one, not so good.

I do believe that the newest "programable" unit also has the "line" switch.

I hate to say it but at a gig last night I preferred the sound of my SABDDI over my Avalon U5. Arghhh!!!!
  15. Thanks for the info!!! How long ago did you buy your SansAmp?
  16. I was suggesting that the older (with no line selector) SABDDI with the mod could be used straight into a Power Amp or the Power Amp stage of a Bass Amp.

I agree that, with the mod, it would be likely to be too "hot" a signal to go into the Pre Amp stage of a Bass Amp.
  17. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    When you run it through a Compressor or Preamp.....are they pedal compressors or preamps? is the tone once you run through one of these? Is th volume loud enough to effectively drive your power amp? I'm curious and will probably do the same thing but I'll be running a SansAmp into a Bass Compactor (for boost) and into a power amp. I just want to make sure this will work effectively.
  18. My bddi does not have a line/instrumnet switch. I got it new around last May. Currently the Tech21 web site only shows the model with the 3 switches.

When I first bought my power amp the idea was to run the bddi straight into the input of the amp (QCS-850) But when I tried that it would not get loud. Even with the amp and the bddi maxed it would only get like 1/5 of the volume it does with a proper signal coming into it (like from the svp-pro or an rbi)

I don't think using pedals will boost the signal enough to go straight into a power amp but I've never tried it so I don't really know. The compressor and preamps I ran mine thru were both rack units (ampeg svp-pro and a behringer $100 cheapie stereo compressor) You could try running your bass into your boost pedal and then into the amp and if it has enough input for the amp then it will be ok when you add the sansamp.

If anyone knows where the thread is that actually shows the mod please direct me, because I couldn't find it. What I'd like to see is a mod to add a switch, to switch it between line and intrument level.
  19. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks...I did try that. I ran my bass straight into my compressor then into the effects return of my amp bypassing the preamp. It was loud enough but very "dry" sounding. A little less volume than the regular preamp.

20. OK guys... Here's the response I got from Tech 21!!!