1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Running second combo amp out of tuner out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by praisebass, Nov 1, 2010.

1. praisebass

praisebass

Aug 20, 2009
    Missouri
    Is it a good or bad idea to run a second combo amp out of a tuner output?

Here’s the deal: I play bass for worship band in a less than optimal acoustic environment. Gym stage with as many as 350 people in regular attendance in folding chairs on the gym floor. I use a Bassman 250 watt 210 combo and run direct to the PA. I use the amp for monitor for the drummer and myself and also to get a little more bass sound pointed at the congregants.

The drummer has hard time hearing me and I’m thinking of sticking a small Hartke practice amp in his face and running the from the tuner output on the Bassman amp to the input on the Hartke.

I’ll try it for myself later this week. Does anyone do anything like this? Are the output signal form a bass guitar and tuner out on the amp I describe roughly equivalent? Am I potentially going to hurt anything by trying this? Does anyone have any other comments to share?
    Thanks,

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the tuner out doubles as a line out, so yes, you can use it for that purpose.

3. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    Could there be any phase issues to deal with?

4. Wasted Bassist

Wasted Bassist

Nov 11, 2008
    Fargo, ND
    I have the EXACT same amp, and I send the tuner out to my Peavey Mark IV + 2x15 setup. Works great.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    if you make your amps sound too similar, maybe. but phasing issues are easily corrected if you have separate amps for your cabs.

6. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    Been doing that for my band's drummer. Downside is that he drums louder since he can hear better.

One tuner out from my bass amp to an amp on his left... one tuner out from the guitar amp to another amp on his right...

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    sorry, didn't notice you said stick an amp in the drummer's face before i answered the phasing question. the likelihood of phasing in that case is low.