Running single cab ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chiplexic, May 9, 2004.

1. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    I've been considering the B115 from Avatar. I want a classic mid/lows sound without being too low and lacking in the other ranges. Don't really like the tweeter effect though so B115. Always thought a single 15" to be kind of the "classic one cab set up"
    BUT with all the talk about the B212 I'm wondering if that wouldn't be a better unit to buy since I'll just be running one cab most times?? Which of the two would you buy when running it alone?? Will I be sacrificing alot of lows with B212 instead of B115 ?? "An Avatar classic single 15"approach or B212 ????" THAT"S THE QUESTION??
    "Will I be sacrificing alot of lows with B212 instead of B115 ?? " THANKS
  2. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Not sure what the specs are on these two cabs, but 2x12s often have BETTER low end than a 115. If you play a 4-string, you won't need freq. response below 41Hz anyway. I'd get the 2x12...plenty of lowend with good definition, clearer highs, more air movement, etc. Plus it weighs more, so you'll be building muscle :D . I think if you get the 15, you'll be more likely to "feel that something's missing", whereas with the 2x12 "it's pretty much all there".
  3. I have both the Avatar B212 and the B115. I would recommend the B212 as your stand alone cab.

The low end is similar with both cabs. As far as specs go they're both tuned to 50hz with a -3db at 50hz.

I think the B115 rolls off too sharply at the high end to be a very effective stand alone.

The B212, on the other hand, has a great full range sound. It produces a great classic sound on its own. The only weakness I can find is its upper mids but that's exactly why it easily sounds classic. If you want more upper mids you can EQ it in anyway. As far as the tweeter goes there is an attenuater so you can adjust the level or turn it completely off.

This is no contest. The B212 all the way!

BTW you should hear them together. Talk about low mids! WOW!
  4. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    >>>they're both tuned to 50hz with a -3db at 50hz.

I know a 4 string max low (open E string ) is about 40 something hz ? So what does it mean when you see cab tuned to 50hz. Is that the point that it will have its best low end response but anything lower will be sub par? What does "tuned to" mean
  5. I don't have the technical answers for you. I can just tell you that both of these cabs handle my low E just fine.