1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Running some effects in-line and some in amp effects loop

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DrewinHouston, Nov 13, 2016.

1. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    My buddy guitar player showed off his new board, and it had four cables running to it. I asked and he said he had some effects in-line and some (pitch effects maybe?) connected in the amp's effects loop. Anyone do this here? Advantages/disadvantages? Is this overkill? I don't have a pic but he was running all stompboxes, some Strymon stuff stood out in my memory.

2. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    Guitar player's generally use amp distortion. If they want to use delay after the dirt, the fx loop is the only way to do it.

3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

All depends on the effects and if their output is strong enough to work in an effects loop. EQ and filtering type devices like an HPF (and some modulation and delay effects) can work better for me in the effects loop than the do going in before the amp's pre stages. But it all depends on the amp and the effect.

Best bet is to try things in both spots, and experiment with your effects order in the chain, to find out what works best for you.