Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

running through pa

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by temple_of_boom, Sep 20, 2005.

1. when i play through my bands pa i get this chirping sound on all of my notes above the A string. this happens any time i run through this pa, beringer board qsc power amp with jbl speakers. my main bass is passive though it does the same thing with my active bass. this happens on every channel on the board through either a direct box, digitech proccessor, direct out from super redhead or ampeg b3. this chirping sound is very annoying and kills my whole vibe. anyone have a clue to cure this?

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Either youre clipping the QSC, or youre putting too much signal through the tweeters. Try rolling down the treble. Also, if youve got a parametric eq, try cutting the maximmum and rolling the freq selector up and down slowly whilst playing, see if that does anything.

Otherwise, without hearing it, I have no idea.

3. not clipping and everythings down the middle. to describe it a bit better would be to say it sounds like only the real glassy part of the high notes come through and weakly, and the actual note is very faint.

4. You're cutting the mids. Your tone is happening because there is no middle frequency to lift and keep your tone bouncy, if they makes sense. Boost the mids to your liking, should fix the problem right away.

5. i went to practice tonight and we were playin with a 2nd guitarist so i boosted my mids up tonight same wierd sound
    its makes my playin sound sloppy almost like messed up chorus pedal or something . i cant get clean highs out of it it must be the board or something my amp sounds great elsewhere and so does my direct box. could the crossover in the jbls be shot? i

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Then in technical terms, its gone boobies up. I have no idea.

Yeah the board could be messed up. Is it just your bass signal? Because then its either your channel or something beforehand. If its everything then try someones else pa pieces and try to troubleshoot with that.