Running through two amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeRules00, Jun 4, 2002.

1. So a buddy found another combo amp for me, and while it's really good, I'm liking my other one more. Is it possible to run my bass through both amps at the same time (I dont' see any special things to do this with. I'm thinking running to opposite amps on the send of the effects loop could do it, but it's all quite confusing.)?
  2. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    if you mean go out the send effects of one amp/preamp into the return effects of the other amp, then yes - it's using the first one as a preamp.
    I am using the preamp of a combo into a seperate poweramp, although a new seperate preamp should be here by the weekend maybe ?

But if you mean actually cascading the power amp sections, well I've heard it is possible -- but maybe too tricky to really recommend.

it is bridging in a sense but the amps are different sizes/watts -- the amp input impedance is probably only one technical hurdle of many you'd have to consider - but I've heard it technically could be possible to cascade amps.
  3. I just had a thought. Is there such thing as a splitter for an instrument cable? That seems like it would be the easiest route, splitting the bass output into to cables, which each plugs into the amps, and shaboom, Joe gets louder. Would this work?
  4. Yes it's possible to split the instrument signal to the two amps. An A/B/Y switch is good for this because you can run either amp independantly or both together.
  5. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    You could use a stereo chorus, running each output of the chorus to it's own amp. I've been doing this for many many years with my Alembic F-2B.
  6. or you could pick up a 1/4female to 2-1/4male cable from radio shack, cost like 5 bucks, i used to do this for gigs, it does pick up alil noise but not enough to hear while giging
  7. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    It's easy if you have Ricosound.