Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Running tips

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vorago, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Well, I did a search, but the only thing I came across were threads about running power through amps and bodyshapes of basses...

Anyway, I decided to finaly do something about my health, get in shape etc...I mean, I don't have a bad health, but I've always been a bit "round around the edges" and I'd like to get rid of it before I'm old and it's too late. I've taken up the idea to start running in the park, combined with strength exercises (which I've already been doing for a while now, Push-ups, Sit-ups, and an exercise to train your back).

The day before yesterday I went running for the first time, and I didn't quite make my initial goal to run for 30 minutes straight. I had to quit somewhere around 15'. It's safe to assume that my endurance is in pretty bad shape. I'm planning to build this up, and I'm going back tomorrow.

How about some tips for a "beginning" runner, for instance, how long should you be running to burn fat, breathing tips etc etc.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
  3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Runner's World has a bunch of great articles as superduck pointed out.

For any cardio exercise you should try to get to the point where you can do it for at least 25 minutes 3 to 4 times a week. Technically though if you ran two different times in a day at 15 minutes each that would count as 30 minutes of cardio for that day. Don't be frustrated with your current times. You'll get up to your 30 minute goal soon enough. Don't overdo it or you'll lose motivation. Also, don't be concerned with how far or how fast you run (unless that's what gets you motivated to do it), just try and get to the point where you're running for a target time. Also, IMO shoes are important. I just bought some new jogging shoes and this time I did it right. I analyzed my feet and my gait, figured out basically what kind of shoe I needed (Stability) and then read a bunch of reviews from runner's world and running times about various stability shoes. I then made a list and went and tried a bunch on and found the right one. Now I have pretty close to the perfect shoe for me and that can mean the difference between a good run and an injury (bad shoes can torque your ankles, allow shin splints and sore feet, etc..).

I run pretty slow but I make sure and get to my target heart rate of between 160 and 170 beats per minute. I used to run about 15 to 18 miles a week but now it's more like 10 because I started taking my dog and she gets worn out. Hopefully she'll get into shape to run more though! It seems like she's doing a little better lately.

To find out your target heart rate just do a google search for "target heart rate." Ideally you want to reach that point fairly early in your run and then maintain it for most of the time. Sorry for the longwindedness, it's good to see some more joggers here.

brad cook

4. Nothing wrong with running for 10 min, walking for a few, running another 10, walking a few, then running another 10.

Whatever you do, make sure you increase gradually, and vary the exercise. Hard day, easy day, take at least 1 day off per week.

You also want to increase the time every week for about 3 weeks, then cut back the 4th week. That gives your body a rest to adapt to the stress. Then start increasing again for 3 weeks, but harder than the first 3 week period. Cut back for the 4th week. Repeat until fit.

Randy

5. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    To add to the good advice you've already received... make sure to warm up/cool down before/after you run. This will reduce any chance of injury as well as prevent excess soreness. I start with some jumping jacks to get the blood flowing and then some stretching (stretching is *very* important- stretch and hold, don't bounce!). Stop your run a block or so from your home and walk the last few minutes, then finish up with some light stretching.

I used to run and workout like a nut back in my 20's and 30's. Now, in my late 40's, running for 20 minutes 3 or 4 days a week is fine.

Good luck and congratulations on a good decision.

Tom

6. First off: Tappel, love the store!

About running... lots of good advice here. Runners world is good too. Things to think about in addition to these are the actual intensity that you'll be running. I think that maximum fat burning is achieved at about 65% of your maximum heart rate (or there abouts). You burn more calories at higher heart rates though. I normally run at around 85% (170 heart rate).

Starting off at 15 minutes is good. You have nowhere to go but up. I would look at trying to get to somewhere in the neighbourhood of 45 minutes. You can also look into some different training variations in order to keep things fresh. Interval training can be fun. If you have access to a decent bicycle that is also a great workout. I like to split my cardio up into about half running, half biking. Keeps it less monotonous. I personally hate running, but I love the feeling afterwards. I run in the morning and I feel great all day.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Don't worry about your initial outing. 30 minutes is lofty if you've been lethargic for awhile. You would've burned about 500 calories had you finished it. So yeah, it will wear you out.

Listen to these guys who posted before me. Go to a real running shop. Get properly fitted for shoes. It might be expensive but you haven't priced a new pair of feet lately ;)

BUY A HEART RATE MONITOR and learn how to use it. Trust me on this.

Don't neglect the rest of your body. Assign some days for the gym doing strength exercises. If your focus is really on running concentrate on toning your torso, chest and arms with light to medium weights with lots of reps. Eat right. But don't limit yourself to bland, Hollywood fad diet foods.

Find a partner who will motivate you when you're feeling lazy.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Just don't be one of those dorks that jogs in place when you are waiting at an intersection. :D

It's OK to stand still for 60-90 seconds waiting for the light to change so you can cross the intersection.

-Mike

9. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I agree, but avoid running around vehicles PERIOD.
    No need to inhale exhaust. If you have a god in tow I assume you are in a park. :)

I gota ask, you are actually running? Or are you jogging? Just jumping right into running strikes me as too much too soon.

DCat

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Start slow, and make sure you feel good. No point killing yourself during the first weeks. You are going to be doing this for months or years anyways.

Get a heart rate monitor, if you can: fast bpm builds your endurance and oxygen intake, slow bpm burns fat, but as a beginner you really should start with slow anyways. With a monitor you'll know when you are in the right pace, whatever you wanna do.

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Excellent advice guys ! :)

My brother is cycling along with me, his shape is even worse then mine :D He started running along but had to stop after 300 meters, no wonder he flunks his Physical Training lesson at school :D

12. There's also www.runnersworld.co.uk which is (obviously) the UK version of the same thing. Lots of overlap on the content, but from a slightly more UK / Euro-centric point of view.

HRM are good, but I've been running for a year and a half and only just got one. You can do a lot without one initially.

Keep a log or diary of how long you run for and where you go. Then as you improve you can look back and see your progress. The big trick is not to go out too fast... It's easy to go for broke in the first 15 minutes and then have to stop. Take it much slower than you think is useful. You'll find you can go for much longer.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Mapper is a neat little tool for finding out how far you've gone. Copy and paste in a map from the internet (or scan one in) and then based on the map scale you can tell exactly how far you've run.
    http://www.littleredfrog.com/?action=mapper&PHPSESSID=79c7057ea0e1f3c264a4b50e77f24929

Breathing is important. My colleague is an Ironman Triathlon competitor and his advice is that when you lose control of your breathing, you quickly fall apart. I try to keep mine in rhythm with my steps: 3 in, 3 out (small steps). If I'm going faster it's 2 in, 3 out, and in the last 1km sprint for the line it's 2 in, 2 out. It's useful being a musician because you can sing a song or a groove in your head as you run to keep the pace constant.

Once you get the hang of it, enter a 5K race. It's a great thing because it forces you to get off your butt and train for the race. Most people can easily run 5K given training. Doesn't matter how long it takes you, you just need to up your endurance to the point where you can run for about 30 minutes. And it'll make you feel good once you've done it!

Join a club. I only recently started running with a club and it's a great way to meet new people, have somebody else to run with, run at a new pace, run new routes, get motivated. The peer pressure of having somebody miss you if you don't get out to run is a great and positive thing.

BUT - The only person you measure yourself against is YOU. Look for improvement in your own times. No need to compare yourself with others. That way madness lies... ;)

ALSO - Once you get into it, the smugness factor increases exponentially... That beer after training always tastes sweeter, AND you've earned it! :smug:

Good advice here:
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=1628&v=3&sp=

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    A park on Mt. Olympus?

brad cook

14. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Agreed. I use to do the EXACT breathing technique!

Yup. For those reading this thread who want to meet a hard-bodied woman, well you now know where to "socialize".
    Up here, I think they will let you try it out for free to see if you like it. In Canada, the "Runner's World" stores usually host/organize them.

:)

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    w00t I completely amazed myself today, by running twice the distance I ran last time! Also, I ran each lap 25% faster than during my previous run. (and adding 5 minutes to my previous time). I didn't had any "stings" (you know, the feeling someone is sticking needles in your side), although my quadriceps seem to be having a hard time..

16. I'd have to disagree... if you check the target zones, wear that monitor and try to keep in those zones, most people (my opinion) find they've been pushing way too hard too fast. Especially running, can be very taxing if you push too hard. Too hard=too sore=not fun=quit fast.

The HRM really nails down the "how hard" part in a way you can quantify. Once you know how that feels, you are more likely to get away without one later.

Randy

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's been my experience that those "stings" which we often call "a stitch in the side" or "a cramp" is something that only happens when you first start running. Maybe it's not the same for everyone but once I became a regular runner I never got them anymore. Before that I just ran through the pain.

brad cook

18. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    +1. The biggest pro for an HRM is it also tells you how much more you have in you.

But I leave it at home for real long runs because I noticed that I become a slave to it. When I did the San Diego Rock and Roll marathon last June I left the HRM at home and just had a chronograph to measure my minutes per mile.

You can also get into cycling (let's face it, Euro = cycling). Don't get a Sycip bicycle. They suck ;) www.sycip.com

As for stings. I know of only one way to make that ache in the side go away. That is by breathing only through my nose.

19. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Vorago, as a perosn who has had just about every running injury in the books, even a fractured pelvis, please learn from my mistakes. Do not increase distance and speed in the same workout. Even better, do not increase both distance and speed in the same week. If you must, leave a few days between the speed workout and the longer distance workout. In other words, use a hard day/easy day pattern. Do not go all out every run for that is the sure path to shin splints, knee pain, foot pain and tendonitis.

Some experts tell beginners to work on distance in their early training and start building speed once they have developed endurance. I agree with that strategy.

Speed is best built with "intervals" of faster runnning alternating with walking or slow running as a recovery between faster intervals.

Runners World magazine, a monthly, is the bible of runners. They have advice for beginners, new shoes and running gear, inspirational stories of great runners and ordinary ones and new health research.

Good luck in your new running program. Be careful, be patient, be safe.