1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Running Two Cabinets from a Bridges Crown XLi 1500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Craig Webber, Apr 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Craig Webber

Craig Webber

Jan 18, 2016
    Boise, Idaho
    Hi folks,

As the tiles says, I have a Crown amp XLi 1500 with a bridged speak-on connector into a Benz Genz 4x10 Focus bass cabinet. I don't have a secondary output on channel 1 (the bridged channel) and the Benz Genz doesn't have an output to run either serial or paralell to a seconday cabinet I'm considering buying (Genz Benz Focus LT 115) Any ideas?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Buy a second cab with dual connectors.

And watch the impedance.

Sid Fang and TAZ like this.
  3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Just run it in parallel to the two cabs. At 8 ohms you will be pushing 350 watts per side. If you need more than 700 watts, you have my condolences.

agedhorse and BadExample like this.
  4. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    That was going to be my nearly exact comment earlier today, but I couldn't find the eloquent wording :D

Unless you are powering one cab that can handle the power, I think bridging is usually going to return few rewards. If I had this amp and two cabs that could handle 500 watts each, I would do as lug said. Sound about the same and be a lot safer for the cabs.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Bridged, that's WAY too much power for those cabinets.

One cabinet per channel in dual mono mode is a MUCH better choice.

Sid Fang, Gearhead17, DWBass and 2 others like this.
  6. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Power aside, that amp is 4 Ohms minimum in stereo/dual mono, 8 Ohms in bridged mono.

I don't know how the power handling of the 15" cab you're considering compares to that of the 410, but running dual mono will let you adjust the level to each independently.

Gearhead17 and BadExample like this.
  7. Why are you wanting to add a 1x15 to your 4x10? You’d be better off with a second GB 4x10 if you need more volume.

Edit: I too suggest that parallel Mono is better than Bridge. It’s how I run my systems.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

:hyper:

9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I thought the XLi was rated for a4 ohm min load. If not, then it's an even worse idea.

The Contour 410/115 are plenty close phase response wise to combine well, the real sensitivities aren't too far off either, especially below 60Hz.

Stumbo likes this.
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Crown XLI 1500 Amp specs:
    • 450W Per Channel at 4 Ohms
    • 330W Per Channel at 8 Ohms
    • 900W at 8 Ohms Bridged Mono
      • Stereo/Parallel/Bridge-Mono Mode
      • User Selectable Input Sensitivity
      • Balanced XLR and Unbalanced RCA Inputs
      • Binding Post and Speakon Outputs
      • Forced Air Cooling
      That's plenty of power per channel at 8 ohms. My power amp gives me 250w per channel and trust me, I'm pretty loud. Pretty much the same as a 500w bass amp.

11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    That's weird, I have a prelim cutsheet with 750W/Chan at 2 ohm rating. Oh well!

12. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Is it possible that the amp does 2 Ohms per channel/4 Ohms bridged and it's not listed in the specs sheet? I suppose one could check directly with Crown.

Edit: Found an old email from when I was considering one of these amps for myself. 8 Ohm bridged minimum seems to be implied, but I sent a follow-up to confirm. Will let you all know what I hear.

13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    With what I see now, I would stick with what's published.

I get a lot of prelim info, sometimes it's hard to keep straight what's prelim and what actually released.

14. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    I followed up with the Crown rep with whom I'd spoken earlier. Per his email to me, "The Xli series cannot run 2 ohm stereo or 4 ohm Bridge-mono."

The XTi amps (not XLi) made by Crown will run 2 Ohms stereo/4 Ohms bridged, but, per Crown, the XLi will not -- 4 Ohms per channel, 8 Ohms bridged for them.

agedhorse likes this.
  15. Craig Webber

Craig Webber

Jan 18, 2016
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks for your comments everyone. I'm going to go back to one channel per cabinet (non-bridged 8 ohm speakers) and control the levels that way. After reading / considering everyone' comments, I don't need that much power bridged into one channel and controllig the level on each channel would be easier and cheaper than setting up an electronic crossover as well.

16. sstillwell

sstillwell

Nov 20, 2008
    The XTi amps are little beasts. I have a couple of 4000s and a 2000 that got a lot of use as monitor amps until I switched to QSC PLX amps - which are even MORE beastly, albeit with fewer features.