Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Running two cabs with my amp???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Aug 24, 2002.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a Stewart power amp, and i want to run two EA CxL-110s with it. the cabs are 8ohms, which means they get 200watts each from what i understand. On the power amp there are two out puts and one for bridged. I would like to run more than 2oowatts to each cab. IS there a way to do this SAFELY?

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Ok... you have 2 8ohm cabs correct? If you put 2 8ohm cabs together, you will get 4ohms. You power amp will be putting out a 4ohm load not 8. You would want to run your power amp bridged I believe and daisy chain your cabs. You will need to look first and see how many watts you are getting bridged at 4 ohms.. Its ok to have more wattage than you need, as long as you don't turn the amp all the way up. Headroom can be a good thing..

Now I may not have helped you at all.. but Someone will be along soon enough to help you if i didn't :D

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well how my cabs are set up, they only have inputs a 1/4inch and a speak-on. I am looking to get a Y cable, but i've heard they are unsafe. My power amp bridged is 1000watts.

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You should be able to use both the speakon and the 1/4". (Check w/ EA to be sure?) You want to "daisy chain" them. So buy a cable with 1/4" on 1 end and speakon on the other and use it to connect the cabs. Send the power from the bridge out to one of the cabs.

So . . .

Bridge out ->Cab 1 -> Cab 2

is 1000 watts into 4 ohms. You shouldn't need that much power for most situations, but it's nice to have headroom. EAs are supposed to be power hungry, so I think this will be a good setup for you.

I think. I haven't blown anything up recently . . .

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    so basically go from the bridged out on the amp to the speak-on on one of the cabs then from the same cab 1/4 to either 1/4 or speak-on on the other cab? the only thing is. How would the wattage be split up? 500/500? and remember both the Speak-on and 1/4 on the cabs are both INPUTS, if that makes a diff?

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes. :D

They're labelled inputs, but on most cabs they can also serve as outputs. Check w/ EA to be sure, but if it was my rig I wouldn't hesitate to try it. I have never had a cab that cared if its input was used as an output.

I run

Mackie 1400i Left out -> BagEnd15-> SWR210

for 700 watts into 4 ohms.

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    THANKS! very helpfull

8. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    If it were my set-up, I'd run a speaker cable from the bridged output on the Stewart to the input on one of the 8 ohm cabs. (Either one). Then I'd run another speaker cable from the first cab to the second 8 ohm cab. This is called "parallel" and gives you a load of 4 ohms, which the Stewart will handle fine. In my experience most speaker cabs have 2 or 3 input/outputs. Doesn't seem to matter which one(s) you use; they seem to work as input or output. (Have never used a Speak-on, so I can't say how it works). Good luck!