Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Running two heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thefrontishere, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Thefrontishere

Thefrontishere

Dec 3, 2003
    This has probably been posted a few times in the past... anywho. I want to run two ampeg v4bh heads with an ampeg 410he and an ampeg 115e. How would i do this?!!#&@!@ :crying:

2. An ABY box (splitter)
    ABY Box
    if you do a search, you would find similar results.
    also, you know you can only run one cab per head with that set up, right?

3. Thefrontishere

Thefrontishere

Dec 3, 2003
    Yeah. Im in school right now and my teacher is a nazi. But yeah. Do you think there are any more ways of doing it? Im looking to run both cabs not just each per head.

4. I dont think you can run two cabs with two heads. if you do what i think you want to do, you'll get a nice fireworks show.

you can't run 2 heads into 1 cab, if thats what you are thinking. i think i know what you wanna do and im sure you can't do it.

5. You can run two separate amps, each with a cab.

You better not plug two amps into one cab, or worse yet 2 amps into two cabs that are connected.

6. You could go thru a crossover first then send each signal to it's own amp...

But, more importantly, why do you want to run two heads and two cabs? It will help us to know what the problem is and if there's a different solution.

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I think if you were a bit more specific with the question it would help. How exactly do you want to run the two amps and cabs.

I think you talking about connecting the main output from one amplifier and then putting it into the next amplifier and then running that signal in to the two cabinets.

Which would mean you would destroy the second amplifier and possibly the cabinets.

The only way you can run both heads is as was already said with a y splitter or an active crossover or by taking a line out of a pre amp send or effects loop send and put into the next amp. You can use both amps to amplify a pre amp signal but you cant use one to amplify a signal thats already been amplified by the other.

8. Running two heads into one cab is possible though.
    Use your imagination..

Go from both the "effects send" outputs from your amps to a ABY box, mix the signals and then put them back in the power amp input of one of the heads. Or put them back into one of the power amp inputs from the heads.

:smug:

But why do you ever want that?

9. Thefrontishere

Thefrontishere

Dec 3, 2003
    I was thinking of it this way... I've seen a few bands do it with Ampeg 810s(4ohm cab). I dont really like 810s so I was wondering if i could do that with a 410 and 115 linked together...

Another question aswell... what is the slave jack on the back of the v4bh? Would that be of any use to me in this situation?

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thefrontishere... Have you read the manual for the V-4BH? It's available for free on Ampeg's web site...

Since it's a tube amp (meaning a vacuum tube power amp with an output transformer), you can technically parallel the output jacks from two amps (or plug them both into one cabinet). Why you'd want to do this, I have no idea. You should NEVER EVER parallel the outputs of solid state amps...all the "magic smoke" will leak out. (FWIW, the Peavey Classic 120/120 is a dual mono tube amp that features switches for paralleling the outputs...a manual for that is available online at www.peavey.com and search for 120/120)

The Slave jack (as the manual says...) is essentally a preamp output. You could plug your bass into one V-4BH and run the slave output to the power amp input jack on the back of the second amp. Each amp would (should) drive it's own speaker cabinet. Only the preamp of the second amp would remain unused.

However, if you want to use two amps and two cabinets...why not go the ABY box route (as Pete-the-bass originally suggested) and then adjust the EQ of each amp to best work with its dedicated speaker cabinet?

There is no logical reason to monkey around and try to plug both amps into both cabinets simultaneously...each cabinet would (in theory) get 100 watts in either case...

11. Thefrontishere

Thefrontishere

Dec 3, 2003
    Thanks for all the help. I think I'm going to try the aby box out.

12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    You've got two V-4BHs ... plugged into each of the cabinets, it will be plenty loud. For the love of God, don't wreck it with a crossover.

13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Daisy chain it.

14. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    I made a series box to put two 4 ohm 2x15 400 watt cabs in series because my old tube head would not like to see a 2 ohm load. It is switchable from 8 to 16 ohm. I hope this doesn't cause any down-the-road problems because it sounds wonderful. What I need to ask is can I somehow slip in an 8 ohm 4x10 with horns without resorting to biamping? The Crate head has two speaker jacks, main and ext. Should I try just plugging the 4 x 10 into the ext. jack or, as I assume, whould this drop my total speaker imp. down to 4 ohm and damage the head? Better to ask than run foolish experiments.

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Why not rewire your 2x15s for 16 ohms?

16. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    You are hereby nominated as my spokesperson. :cool:

17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Hey, I never used a crossover when I use two heads either!!!! :spit:

;)

18. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I guess I could understand biamping with solid state gear, but it just doesn't make sense with tube, where the dynamics change gradually over the whole range of the instrument. Hell, until a few months ago I biamped* with a 2x10 and an 1x18, but now am perfectly, perfectly happy running a tube head, 2x10, and 1x15.

* This was for a purpose, because up until a few months before I changed my rig, I was playing a 7 string almost exclusively.

19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    It makes perfect sense, especially if you want a fat clean bottom end, but an overdriven midrange & high end.