1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Running XP on an Apple MacBook???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Nov 22, 2006.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    sacrilege i know... :p but anyone doing so?

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

No, but I occasionally run it in Parallels on my iMac.

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    my Mom uses Parallels on her MacBook and runs it. The only problem is that its slow.

4. Geoff St. Germaine

You need quite a bit of RAM to run parallels. I had 1 GB when I first got my iMac and the whole computer slowed down a lot when Parallels was running. Now that I have 2 GB there is no issue.

5. Dear god, WHY?!?!

As an aside, Linux will run just swimmingly :)

6. Geoff St. Germaine

I use it because I have a Windows version of Matlab that I do all of my data analysis on. I simply prefer the interface of Matlab (as compared with Octave, etc) and I don't have a Mac version of it. Maybe once the Universal version of Matlab comes out next year I'll dump XP, who knows.

7. There is a linux version :D

Oh alright, I'll stop now :)

8. Geoff St. Germaine

That would require buying a linux version in the interim and then going to a Mac version in 2007. I can't afford to throw thousands of dollars around like that.

9. This raises an interesting topic: should you have to pay twice? If it were me and I already owned the windows version, I would try to find the linux/mac version via P2P. I figure that's fine if I switch from one version to the other, rather than running them in parallel.

10. Geoff St. Germaine

Well, I'm running an old version (bought it doing my undergrad about 6 years ago). I think that it is 6.5 (student version). The current version is 7.3, so I don't think I'd feel right about using it, even though it is possible that since I'm not technically a student anymore there may be something in the license agreement that says I'm not supposed to use it anymore. Also, I happen to know that the P2P versions have all of the toolboxes with them, and I think each one is about $250 or so.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hm...

is anyone doing the dual boot thing ala boot camp?

i've seen parallels, but anything that's a windown inside of something else is gonna be molasses slow.

12. Geoff St. Germaine

What exactly do you want Windows for?

With lots of RAM there is little slowdown, though I'm generally not multitasking between Windows and OS X when I'm running Parallels. I use it because it is much more convenient than rebooting to do 15 or 20 minutes of work and then rebooting again.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    dont feel like rebuying all my programs i have for PC.

14. Geoff St. Germaine

For instance? There is a ton of open source software available for OS X. I could see some very specific programs, but depending on what you're doing there could be a free alternative.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    well,

i'm more than happy w/ the programs i'm running now, and would like to keep using them. *shrug*