Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

running your own band's bulletin board, how to go about it?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by xush, Oct 11, 2004.

1. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Got a cool board for your band?
    Can I see it?
    Where'd you get it?

How do you go about setting one up?
    Our 'message board' just isn't cutting it anymore!

TIA

2. I did a search for "free forums " and found xsorbit.com . It was the first one on the search engines list so I checked it out . Here is our ink . Esoterik Forums We just got it up so no one has really been there . It was pretty easy to set up and if you want to get rid of pop ups it cost you about $4 a month I think .

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What are the weaknesses (and strengths) of your present solution? That might help pinpoint the attributes that are important to you.

Wulf

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    thanks!
    I've been checking out the free ones, just not sure if there's any major drawbacks yet.
    Checked yours out, looks good. Something like that would probably work fine for us.

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    well, no particular strengths that I can think of, but the posts dropping off the end after 5 months is kind of weak. I'd like a 'forum' view, rather than just one long line of threads like we have now.
    http://members2.boardhost.com/analog/

thanks.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Are you looking for an externally hosted board or have you got some form of dynamic server space you can install one into? I've played around a bit with phpBB but that relies on my access to PHP scripting and a mySQL database.

Wulf

7. As Wulf hinted, PHPBB might be a solution worth looking into if your web host provides php and a mysql database. It's pretty easy to do basic customization, and if you are familiar with PHP programming the sky is the limit as far as what you can do to it.

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Yeah, that looks pretty much like just what we were thinking.

I doubt there would be 500.

I'll PM you. Thanks for the heads-up.

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I emailed you personally, but let me just say again,

WOW!~ THANKS!

I hope we can do something to show our appreciation!
    thanks very much, we are indebted to you!