Running your own PA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by broadstone, Feb 26, 2006.

1. broadstone

Feb 21, 2006
    Boone, NC
    I just saw another thread in here about PA's with subs or no subs so I hope this topic will fit in here as well.

My question: If you run your sound from on stage how do you handle it?

We have had to do this for some time, as we are unable to find someone with either the 1. Know how or 2. the desire to help run sound. Good thing for us I have run sound over the past 10 years for other groups but still you learn as you go.

Just curious as to any tips that others may have in running their own sound. I am the only wireless member of the band so of course out front I head during sound check to see how it all sounds. For the most part over 6 years things have went well BUT last weekend at an event in a huge wedding tent the 11am soundcheck sounded great, the 6pm soundcheck found all the bass and kick drum just gone, not reaching the back at all. This got me to thinking about this topic and how others handle doing their own sound.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You must have a monitor for yourself through which you run the same feed that's going through the mains, and you must have a visual level meter of all the inputs to the board so you can 'see' the mix. The first is easy, the second not so, few lower priced boards have that ability.
  3. +1....I do this at times on small gigs (because I just don't trust most of the local "sound guys') I prefer to use an inear (Shure E-5) because it helps to attenuate a good deal of the wash you hear through headphones when monitoring in a live environment....I take the headphone out of my Alesis 9600 if I am recording and want to check my record mix (keep in mind the converters will affect the sound you hear, especially in the high end) and I take the headphone out of my console which depends on the gig. I always use a dbx Driverack to setup the PA so I know as long as my mix is good then the PA is probably cool too. I also ASK the people in the crowd, "Hey can you guys hear us OK? are the vocals loud enough?" Trust me there are people in the crowd who know when something is wrong and they WILL tell you!!

For something small and intimate like the 4 piece gig I do (as well as the 5 piece power band I do) I just use a Mackie :)eyebrow: yes it is THAT good) Onyx 1640. The cool thing is I use it for one of the reasons bill mentioned above! It does not have a full range meter on each channel BUT it does have a 3 stage LED that works PERFECTLY on a tight stage. The Preamp is quite good (Better than a LOT of $$$$ recording consoles I have used!!) and the Perkins EQ is VERY good for the price. I typcally use Midas consoles Live and HIGH end consoles in my Recording/Mixing (Neve, SSL, API, etc). I am actualy considering a Mackie TT24 digital console right now but they have a few bugs to work out first!! Overall, I say get a good house guy IF you can BUT with a little creativity, you can get great results on your own.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I'm not familiar with the Mackie, I run a Yahama 01V and couldn't be more pleased. Whatever you want to know there's a screen shot that will tell you.