1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

running your own sound with keyboards in the band

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by sadworld, Apr 18, 2009.

1. sadworld

sadworld

Feb 2, 2009
    michigan
    we run our own sound and the keyboards are all over the place as far as volume goes... each song is a different program on his keys and thus who knows where the volume will be... any tricks to remedy this? don't want to run out and check every song ya know?

2. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    i hear ya on this, i recently srted working for the first time with a keyboardist and his leslie is killing me,great tone but we cancel each other out. are you same side of stage/practice space with him?

3. A compressor/limiter could help, but the better and cheaper solution would be to have him go through all his patches and set their levels to unity.

4. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    +1 to this. If it is a synth that is the culprit.

Miking the leslie top and bottom will work only if the operator agrees to be sane about things.

5. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    Buy a volume pedal that only you control!

6. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    oh, while your at it, add one for the guitarist too! (you control both of course)

7. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Whenever I've played keyboards I've had exactly the same problem. It's not just about setting all the patches to be the same amplitude (which would be a good start - patches can vary wildy)), but that the volume level of the band is changing constantly - a guitarist or bass player can adjust easily, but keys are at the same level, so sound overly loud or quiet. Also some sounds might be the same volume technically, but cut through the mix differently so SOUND louder or quieter.

Chances are (I hope) they keys player knows this, and is wincing at every note, but can't spare a hand to adjust the volume. The simple (and cheap) solution is just to plug and expression pedal into the back of the keyboard, and use it to control master volume. He can then "ride" the voume from momment to momment.

8. He doesn't need that left hand anyway:)