1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5033-H as Bass EQ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowfreqgeek, Sep 13, 2010.

1. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    I know it's a studio piece, but has anyone used one on bass either in the studio or live?

Would I be crazy to pick one up? I've been running an Avalon U5 for a while and have always wanted a high-end EQ to go after it. I'm trading the U5 for a GT Brick, but the Brick is also a preamp. That might be a tasty rig right there!

2. "If you've got the money, honey..."

At a much lower level I used to add a Furman Sound PQ3 parametric EQ to my Alembic F2-B preamp. If you can't find the right EQ on the Avalon for your sound, I'm sure the Neve will will do it as good as anything else if not better.

I'm now using an all-tube Sadowsky SA200 that I run basically flat, but I also have a Warwick Jonas Hellborg preamp which is said to be a Neve design. It sounds pretty good but the Sadowsky edges it out for my tastes.

Gale

3. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    If a portico eq driven with a groove tube brick doesn't do it.
    Cant think what will.:bassist:

4. I Forget

I Forget

Apr 16, 2010
    For live use a U5 + Speck ASC-T do it for me. The 'T' version has a transformer output and to my ear sounds a little more natural than the regular balanced out. The neve might possibly be a step up for recording but the little speck is quiet, powerful and transparent. I have zero desire to replace mine with something more expensive. A good little box at a reasonable price.

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i'm sure that it would be great. i alternate between using my Avalon VT737SP, a Focusrite ISA430MKII and a UA 6176 and although they're channel strips, each of them sound awesome. The ISA430MKII's eq is fantastic and VERY flexible, and i think the portico's would be too.

6. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FWIW, Neve also makes a Portico unit that incorporates both a mic pre and a parametric EQ. You'd need to add a DI box, but that would be a sweet minimalist-yet-effective preamp rig.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    as awesome as that unit is, most studio preamps' EQs are more surgical and are incredibly subtle, which help fine tune tracks under the microscope that is the studio. thusly, it'll take really drastic turns of the dial to get the sound you want, and be really frustrating on louder gigs.

but honestly, i'd be super wary of taking such an expensive piece out to a gig, anthony jackson, notwithstanding.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i don't find that to be the case at all.

Avalon-UA-ISA.jpg

9. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    While Rupert's classic Neve gear is the gold standard in most professional studios, his new Portico series has been received pretty tepidly. I've used the 5012 in a project studio & while it worked perfectly and sounded fine- it definitely is not what you think of when going for classic "Neve".

It's probably unfair to compare the vintage classic to a new design, but thats how it goes...

10. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    The 5032 is the Mic Pre/EQ. The EQ has Low and High Baxandall Shelves and 1 Parametric Mid-Sweep. This is a really nice sounding EQ.

The 5033 is a 5-band EQ. 3 sweepable mids and High/Low Shelves (?). I'll have to double check. I don't think the High/Low Shelves are Baxandall.

As far as DI's go...
    we used to make the 5016. It has been discontinued and replaced by the 5017. The 5017 is not a 1/2 rack unit but more of a floor box. I'm sure a used 5016 can be found.

11. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    Lucas... Now you got me salivating!

Imagine the damage that could be inflicted with a rack of Portico modules! A superb-quality, wide-response bass like my Rick Turner Electroline (piezo-only) though all those tone/envelope shaping tools would be absolutely amazing!

I'd be all over it if I was doing more studio work - and when I build my own studio, I WILL be all over it. For now, though, I best save the money. However, the one I found locally was about $1k... not bad at all.

12. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    then I'm sure you can imagine what I go thru everyday.:crying:
    Funny thing is my old band called my up today to ask if I can play a gig next month. I sold my amp to raise funds to start getting parts for a diy pre. I won't have time to finish it (I haven't even started). I might have to look around to see if we have any functional engineering units around.;)

13. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    Uh huh... "engineering units". I've heard that before... ;)

I'd be really curious to see what you come up with on your diy preamp. I can only imagine the insight that you might have working with Mr. Neve. Very cool!

14. korybaugus

korybaugus

Sep 27, 2009
    San Francisco
    Why not buy DW Fearn VT-15???...

15. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    ^^ Cause I don't have $5k to blow on one.

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Yeah , why not, if neve is your thing go for it.
    I casn't see any problems if it's in a decent case.:)

17. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    I did do some follow up...

The 5032 Mic Pre/EQ - The Low and High Shelves are a modified Baxandall filter topology...it is not the typical Baxandall but I would expect nothing less from Rupert. The Mid-Sweep is a State-Variable topology.

The 5033 EQ - 5-Band Eq. Low and High Shelves with 3 sweepable mids. All of the filters are State Variable.

18. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    As I suspected. I'm not sure that a continuously variable Baxandall is practical. Switched-caps is very doable, but continuously varying the frequency of the shelf (like the 5033) is better done with a state-variable filter, IMO.

I'lll have to play with some more of my own designs. It's just hard to find time between family, work, and all the playing I pretty much have to do to stay mentally stable. And, as you mentioned (implied), DIY isn't always cheap - not when you want to do it *right* and you're dealing with low-volume parts orders.

19. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    +1!

20. RTL

RTL Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I don't know about the Portico stuff, but right now I'm recording in a studio with a Neve 80 series console (custom 8048 based console, which was built for BBC South Africa IIRC), and NOTHING sounds like a bass through those 1073's. They're absolutely epic.

If I could afford a functioning 1073, I'd go that route in a heartbeat!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021