Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5033-H as Bass EQ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowfreqgeek, Sep 13, 2010.

1. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Agreed! Be aware, though, these new Portico's don't have that classic vintage Neve character. Weird, since the same guy is behind both series... :confused:

2. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    you can't expect someone as creative and innovative as Rupert Neve to keep designing the same thing over and over again...can you?;)

3. RTL

RTL Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I should totally sig that. :D

You sir, have one of the best jobs I can think of. You get to work with the man who changed the way the world hears music. That's some heavy stuff right there.

The intern working with us at the studio got to sit down and listen to Rupert give a lecture for 45 mins or so. He said that he learned more in that 45 minutes than he did in his entire audio engineering course at Full Sail.

Mr. Neve has been on my list of "People to meet before I die" for a long time.

(Yes, I said before I die, because Rupert Neve is immortal.)

4. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    I believe the new Rupert Neve Designs gear has custom-designed transformers. I'm certainly no expert on vintage Neve (or anything else, for that matter...), but they almost certainly had different I/O transformers. That alone would have an impact on the character of the sound.

Beyond that, it's likely that the newer stuff has both different circuit topology and different components - perhaps different semiconductor compositions. All that leads to a different sound, though I'm sure it's every bit as great as the vintage stuff.

Kinda like P-basses and SVTs, we're all used to hearing vintage 1073s as they're considered a standard. Other choices are equally valid, but probably won't sound the same - unless they're designed to clone the original (and where's the fun in that?).

Since joining TB, I've suffered from both GAS and a desire to get back to what started me down this engineering road to begin with: studio electronics. This thread isn't helping anything! :spit:

5. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    True! :)

It's hard because the expectation is that it's going to have that classic Neve console pre character. Totally unfair,.. but there it is. The fact that vintage Neve's are already being referenced (from posters who haven't actually used a portico) is proof of that.

I'm totally ready to accept the Portico lineup in & of itself. The dual pre I used sounded great, but to be fair, was very transparent & un-colored. Which, of course, is fabulous if that's what you are going for! :)

6. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    Austin in not far from where we are...

7. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    I am sort of in the same boat you are. My familiarity with studio gear stops outside these doors (I'm at work right now), that even includes vintage Neve gear.

That said, I completely agree with what you said.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    to take this further...

what cabs are you using?

cause trying to fight a really voiced eden xlt is an uphill battle for a studio pre.

and if you're doing a jazz trio vs. anything more than a moderately loud rock band, chances are, you're gonna be buried, no matter how much gold bullion has been invested in said studio pre.

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i still disagree completley. i usually use a accugroove whappo jr. with it, or a 12126 cab.
    i am in a pretty loud classic rock band, using no FOH support. the channels strip don't get 'buried' at all.

10. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    I won't disagree with that.
    ...but, there is something about playing on a rig that you are completely happy with.
    If that is what the OP is after then who's to argue.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i wish your band were like my bands... :(

12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    well, to be fair, the whappo jr and 12126 are fairly flat, uncolored, and smooth sounding cabs. even subtle eq is effective on them.