1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rush-2011 Time Machine

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 1SHOT1HIT, Aug 3, 2012.

1. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    I've never been a Rush fan, I like a few songs and always have but before TB if you woulda asked me who Geddy Lee was?????????? no idea.

I gotta say though, the more I watch this, the more I like these guys and what they do especially Geddy hell especially all 3 of them really. These guys are so on point in their work.

If your wondering yes I know what year it is, they're running the full Time Machine (live in Cleveland) concert on Palladia right now.

I'm not sure if it's because now I'm playing bass but I am really starting to appreciate the hell outta Geddy Lee. The man is talented no doubt about it.

That is all.

2. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Is that them Geddy as the Director in the beginning of Tom Sawyer?

And the fat man looked like it could have been Alex Lifeson, which leaves Neil Peart as the Directors assistant????????

Yes? No?

3. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Yes.

These guys are hysterical at the same time as being intensely talented musicians. I saw the Time Machine tour at the PNC in New Jersey. It was a great show. The movie at the end starred the two guys from "I love you, man", and was really funny as well.

I've seen Rush over the years a lot, the first time being I think in 1976 in the Capitol Theater in Passaic. It is great that after all these years, you can see that these guys genuinely like each other and are not merely tolerating each other just to collect a check, like a lot of other established bands that are out there. Also, these guys keep getting better with each album/tour, if that is even possible!

4. +1,000,000.....

5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Yep.

Saw them on the TM tour last year here in Tulsa. Great show, as always. All three of them are so talented, and down-to-earth guys to boot. Those videos from their shows are hilarious!

6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, bought the DVD of the Time Machine in Cleveland. I go back to it over and over again... one of the best concert DVDs out there.

"Sound like a buncha crap...."

"Yes, but zometimez people LOVE crap!"

---

"Listen, to ME you are a genius, to Kugel you are a genius, to O'Malley here you are a genius, but to a genius, you are no genius...."

7. cirrus1

cirrus1

Aug 16, 2011
    central Iowa
    Saw a movie on cable the other day called "Suck" and i'll be damed if Alex wasn't playing the part of a customs agent!

8. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Great DVD, love it also!

9. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I still love Neil's tone...

...when he says "Music for morons" in the opener.

Also, Geddy's solo in Leave That Thing Alone is INSANE.

10. Big John66

Big John66

Feb 12, 2008
    Count me in on the Rush lovefest. I've seen them multiple times since the Permanent Waves tour, and they just keep getting better. The Snakes and Arrows show in KC just completely floored me.

I'm really digging Clockwork Angels too. It seems to be their most cohesive record in some time. The worst part is no KC show on the CA tour as of yet. Looks like I'll be driving to St.Louis.

11. hrodbert696

Yes, that was him. Classic Rock magazine did a sidebar on Alex's acting hobby. He's got four acting credits on imdb:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0509820/

12. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1!

The most amazing thing about that DVD is that it made my wife a Rush fan...

omg.

13. for shore.

I've been a Rush fan for about 4 years of my 15 year life. There is no other band that has been (and is) more dedicated to good music than Rush. Pioneers, professionals, artists, whatever you call them, they are a very ultimate band. They are humble as well, as shown in Limelight from the Moving Pictures album;

All the world's indeed a stage,
    And we are merely players,
    Performers and portrayers,
    Each another's audience
    Outside the gilded cage.

There is no reason for them not to be given the utmost respect. Even if you dislike them ; for Geddy's shrill (powerful) voice or Peart's overbearing (awe-inspiring) lyrics, or even the way they dress, they still deserve a place in everyone's mind as a band who has stood the test of time to conjure moving and influential album upon album. Dec3, Houston....Seeing them for the first time.....

14. K-man

K-man

Aug 11, 2009
    Ontario
    Geddy was one of the reasons I picked up a bass (1979). My first Rush concert (Power Windows) blew me away with how 3 guys could sound like 10 live; playing with their hands feet etc. and singing live. The time machine tour showed me how musically talented they still are. What also inspires me is how down to earth and humble these guys are. They don't take themselves too seriously. Check out Geddy's interviews.. or his tobogganing tips. Their documentary is really cool. In one interview Geddy or Alex was telling how people in South America would be coming up to Geddy and asking "Are you Ozzy?". Some musicans would be put off by stuff like this.....they thought it was hallarious.

Still lots of Love for boys in Rush from me

15. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Ok guys so I know VERY little about Geddy, or Rush for that matter.

If you had to recommend the top three links to info or video of these guys what would it be?

Ideally Geddy as he is the bass player.
    I do play guitar but not so much lately.
    I'd love to learn drums, but until I have the space that's not happening.

So do any of you guys have links to some really good Geddy Lee Concert vids or Solo stuff, or whatever? What would you recommend a the best of Geddy Lee & Rush?

16. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
  17. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I was never a Rush fan per say. Radio hits, that's all.
    This winter my bass student ( has seen them 21 X) turned me on to
    them. Rush in Rio DVD. I was amazed at the concerts & fans.
    Guess who I'm going to go see September for the very first time.
    I've got one of my basses set up a la Geddy.

18. Wow, Lenny. It's funny, when we drove to the GTG, you seemed kind of 'meh' when I mentioned I was a big Rush fan. Good for you! I'll see you at the show! :D

19. hrodbert696

I think there is a disk or two of Geddy's solo stuff out there but I've never heard it.

As far as the best way to get what the band is all about, get the "Beyond the Lighted Stage" documentary - it's a history of the band from the beginning down to, I think, 2005 or 2007 or so. Very well done. Apparently the band's comments to the filmmakers when they saw the finished product was, "Wow! You made us seem interesting!"