Rush - A Show Of Hands (The Video)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I watched this video again the other day after not watching it for years (literally). Talk about an incredible showcase of talent. I just wish that the Sound Geddy was getting out of his Wal was a little richer. The video has a decent mix of some of their newer songs, at the time, as well as a fairly good mix of some of their older songs.
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Richer sound out of his Wal? What exactly do you mean by "richer"?

I know that he stopped using it in favor of his Jazz Bass because of the "unpolished" tone that it had. It's definitely more aggressive sounding. Is that what you're talking about?

BTW: Did you catch the little joke at the end where Alex sings into a dead microphone on La Villa Strangiato? Many people complained that they couldn't make out the words!!! :D Good humor!:D
  3. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Maybe richer was a poor choice of wordrs. To me YYZ in particular sounded a little thin, maybe too clean. Maybe I'm just used to how YYZ is played on Moving Pictiures and Exit Stage Left.
    I could never make out what Alex is saying at the beginning of La Villa Strangiato. The warning signs always come up on the video and then they muffle out his words. Although I do like Alex's little off the mark joke when coming in to Temples of Syrinx.
  4. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Their opening song on the video really made me a fan of Big Money. Alex nails the guitar solo, his use of even the simplest harmonics is pure genius to me. Those guitars he used on the video sound really good too, very agressive and cut like a knife.

I've never talked about Lifeson in any forums here because it's TB, not TG. On that video especially though, I am totally in awe of the fantastic sounds he gets throughout the show. Over the years, I've heard some of the most unique and pleasing tones out of Lerxst, and I always look forward to hearing him experiment with different sounds.

I find so many of his sounds totally unique amongst the neverending trend of infinitely layered, overly compressed distortion in rock music. Don't get me wrong, I love the massive crunch of a dual rectifier as much as the next guy, but it seems few bands set themselves apart from the pack in this respect. Maybe it's just me, but I think the guitarists who break beyond that mold are few and far between these days. Maybe it's the music I listen to...or maybe it's that bands like Rush come from a different era in rock where lasting bands would eventually cut a definitive niche for themselves, discontent to be awash amidst a sea of clones.

This is just my opinion, but I think he is one of the best guitarists that ever was. It's not about technique or who's fastest to me, it's about what they play and their attention to sound. Plus, I'm a sucker for arpeggiated riffs! :) His solos are also amongst some of my favorites of all time. I do admit that sometimes, they are just outright strange though, lol. Still, I always find something to like in them, and at least he keeps it interesting. I was a little disappointed with Different Stages though, sounds like he goofs off too much IMO.

Most everyone here knows by now that pound for pound, Ged is easily my favorite bassist. In regards to his basses though, let me just say I couldn't be more pleased he's revisited the Jazz during the past decade. I feel this is the bass that can take him from here to eternity, and it's still my favorite sounding bass amongst all he's ever played.
  5. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I just rented that last week from a large rental chain whose name starts with a "B"... anyway, I had never seen it, and I watched it several times. it was really cool... The wal bass looks and sounds great, but I dig the Geddy Lee sig Jbass more.... this tape was at the bottom of a stack of rentals, so i think to myself that it has to be a 5 day rental.... I drop the video of 5 days later, go back in another week, and I have a 10$ late fee.... They actually had that video on 2 day rental. I digress... I really liked the video!

6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've got to agree with you, wholeheartedly!:D

Being a bass guitarist, myself, I rarely listen to guitars. It's like those frequencies have been cut out of my brain:D But, I love listening to Alex Lifeson's playing! He's just so fluid and masterful! Definitely one of my favorite guitarists!

A true artist, he is!:D