Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rush and Ticketmaster can kiss my...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 3rd Rock, Apr 24, 2002.

1. 3rd Rock

3rd Rock Guest

Sep 19, 2001
    Toms River, NJ
    Well Rush tickets went on sale in my area today.

$72.75 a ticket, a $2.25 per ticket Building Facility Charge (What's That?,) and a $9.20 per ticket "Online Convenience Charge." :rolleyes:
    Total charge for two tickets : $172.10

I'm sorry Rush may be awesome, but that much money for tickets is not cool at all.

Last year I wanted to go see Steely Dan with my Dad, and they wanted $105 a ticket + TicketMaster fees (No thanks!)

I give major props to all of the bands out there that still have reasonable ticket prices.

2. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    They're going on sale here May 10 (Rush tickets), but if they're in that range I'll have to pass.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    And I thought $40 for Pat Metheny was bad.

4. Fugazi, 10 years, still about $5,

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Right On, BWW

6. PeninaD

PeninaD

May 26, 2001
    PA
    I had about the same experience with TicketBastard (can I say that?), and I chose the same route...so as much as I wanted it, I won't be seeing the comeback of Neil....sigh.

And as last time I saw them I had no particular interest in bass, I had planned to bring small binocs to keep an eye on Geddy this time.

7. 3rd Rock

3rd Rock Guest

Sep 19, 2001
    Toms River, NJ
    I hear ya. I didn't think they were going to tour again after all that Neil has been through.

The last time I saw Rush it was $35 a ticket or so, and we had really good seats.

If people continue to shell out big bucks, then the artists just get away with charging huge dollar amounts for tickets. It will become a growing trend.

Last summer I saw No Doubt, Lit, and the Black Eyed Peas, at the same arena Rush is playing at this year. It was about $25 a ticket. Ok, so they aren't Rush, but I got to see a great show at a reasonable price.

I really didn't understand years ago why Pearl Jam was making such a big deal with the court case against Ticketmaster. Now I see what it is all about.

I would rather support 7 or so local bands in my area, than to go see Rush for $72+ a ticket.

That's just me.

8. you sure its not 72 bucks canadian? hah 36 isn't so bad. haha

9. that sucks man! yes sure Rush is a great band but 72 dollar is why too much for any band to charge.

10. My friend told me there was a Who concert within driving distance in August. . .and he paid around $80 per ticket for pavillion seats. I don't have a job right now and like being able to buy CDs and strings, so I was disheartened, but came up with the $30 for lawn seats. I still get to see John Entwhistle, but I'll have to get some binoculars to see his hands. Maybe I should stick to liking bands nobody listens to.

11. Damn, it makes me sad that they would allow that kind of prices. I may have to pass as well.

12. Sure as hell beat McCartney. His most expensive tickets for his tour is $250. How can you screw over your fans like that? Isn't he like the 2nd richest person in the UK after the royal family? It's not as though he is tight on cash.

13. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    That's why I usually just go see "small time" bands or local bands at the clubs. I remember my first concert. in 1976, Rush, Ted Nugent, Reo Speed wagon, Leslie West and Blue Oyster Cult at the Capital Center (just outside D.C.) $11.00 No joke.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I saw Fugazi in Holyoke MA. last thursday, 6$. Fugazi defines integrity.

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The logic (I guess) for a $250 ticket or any ticket over $30 is how much does it cost to put on the show? Big tours may have a hundred (or more) person crew, in some cases TWO crews and TWO stage sets so they can "leapfrog" shows becuase they can't even set the stage up in a day!

To top it off, let's say the shows were really cheap or even FREE. Some people still couldn't get in because there are only so many seats and simple supply and demand takes over (if you can't sell out your $250 seats then you'll charge less next time, right?).

Personally, I will never again pay to attend another arena show, indoor or outdoor. I did spend over $35 for Lucinda Williams tickets at a local theater show, I'm not sure I will ever pay that much again either (if it had been anyeone else, I would have passed). If that means I may never see some performers I really enjoy, so be it. In the meantime, I spend my money on club shows and attend free concerts whenever I can (this weekend in Boston: Bonnie Raitt with Garbage and Midnight Oil, I'm there baby!!!).

16. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I paid $35 for lawn seats to see Rush on 6/28. I figure this will probably be their last tour so I want to catch them before I can't anymore.

I would've loved to get some decent seats, but they wanted between $75 -90 per seat.

$35 is expensive, but I can drop that in a bar, and not feel half as good the next day. :)

17. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I don't care how big of a fan of a particular band I am, I would never pay more then $35 for a ticket (although I have paid up to $300 to see a Green Bay Packer game on more than one occasion). I thought it was outrageous that Metallica was asking $55 for a GA ticket a few years back!

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I will pay my $35 to see Rush. I will not pay $60 to see Sir Paul.

If The Who ever comes back to Dallas, I will pay whatever they want. I have never seen them, and they are one of the greatest live acts of all time, from what I hear.

19. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I paid $16 to see Rush at Madison Square Garden in 1982.

At $72/per ticket, I'd better get edited by ZuluFunk....and a fresh set of sheets...Can I say that? I guess not.

One of my all-time favorite bands. They ain't that good.

20. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Those prices, and Ticketmaster's ever-growing "convenience charges", are simply outrageous.

I'm not that much of a Rush fan these days, but I still feel nostalgic for them, and I'd love to see them again -- but not at that price. :rolleyes: