1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rush concert last night

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mr Matt, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Mr Matt

Mr Matt Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Washington State
    The RUSH show last night at the Whiteriver Amphitheatre was most excellent as to be expected.
    I haven’t seen these guys live since Moving Pictures and it seems they haven’t missed a beat, they just look older.
    They played for 3½ hours with a ½ hour beak in there, so OK fine, 3 solid hours.
    The lighting was awesome as was the video/intros & camera work projected up on 5 huge screens, 3 behind the stage & 2 to the sides for the folks in the back.
    Even some well done pyrotechnics were used in timing with the video & Witch Hunt intro.
    They played most of the new album, a lot of the “smash hits” & some obscurities (like the above), certainly hard to cover their entire catalog.
    The sound was mixed well and wasn’t too loud like the Billy Idol show a while back.
    Don’t really need to say much about the musicianship other than everyone was dead on & Geddy’s voice was better than ever.
    Geddy’s setup for this tour was 3 commercial size rotisseries packed with chickens spinning & glistening behind him.
    Twice during the show guys came out with aprons & chef hats on to baste the birds as the band played on, too funny!
    I imagine the crew got to feast on the pheasants after they had it all busted down.
    All in all well worth the scary 3 hour Friday night rush hour (ha, ha) commute.

2. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I was there too and thought they were great. Unfortunately we missed the first 6! songs because of the horrid traffic.

I thought the boys were exceptionally tight, and this is coming from someone who will nitpick when they blow the intro to YYZ or something.

Neil seemed quite happy and boy did he nail his solo.

The sound at the amphitheater was really good. You could hear all the instruments quite clearly, though I think Ged's bass could've used more bottom end.

Getting out of the parking lot was a nightmare. 1 hour in the lot, another to get to the freeway. Insane.

3. Mr Matt

Jan 18, 2005
    Washington State
    Yes his black jazz was a tad thin, but the tobacco burst & the red jazz had some fat low end I thought.
    They are kings of the video show enhancements, with South Park gang, dragon pyrotechnics, Passage to Bangcock and of course Geddy's closing chicken spiel videos really add a lot to the whole show.
    Know who the chicken basters were? Pretty damn funny! :D

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I saw the show on June 22 at VA Beach. It was truly amazing. So glad they are still kicking it after all these years!

5. The chickens are fake, sorry to let you down.

I'm seeing them in a few days at the hollywood bowl. As my first real concert, I'm really glad to see the guys who inspired me to try my hand at music again.

6. Mr Matt

Jan 18, 2005
    Washington State
    Damn, nice prop tho!

7. neil really changed up his solo, i thought that was really cool.

8. Ooh, did they play Far Cry?

9. Just got back from the show at the Clark County Amplitheater near Vancouver, Washington. I had wanted to go for a few months, but could not find anyone to go with me.

The weather was a bit sketchy today so I waited until about 7 to make up my mind about going. Man, I'm glad I did. My GF agreed to come along and we showed up a bit late and got the seats in the field. The weather held out at about 68 and cloudy. The show was incredible and I have no regrets. The boys put on a great 3 hour show. This was my third time seeing them, and I will make sure to go next time they come through.

10. Bluesdog

Bluesdog

Apr 24, 2006
    Gold Coast
    :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

If only they'd tour Australia

11. Yep, they played the first eight songs off the new album, as well as "Malignant Narcicissism." They kicked off the show with some older stuff, and waited a little while to dig into the new songs.
    I'm jealous of you guys who are still getting to see them! I saw the first show of the tour, and now it's like.. that's it?! All the anticipation, new album out, tour come and gone.. over. Time to wait a few more years for the next one!

12. I thought their playing at WRA was amazing. They were playing with such intensity you couldn't believe they had being doing this stuff for so long. They were tight and controlled the mood of the crowd. I was in the 6th row so I could see every little expression on their face and feel the pyro. It was an awesome show and I totally dug the lights and even the drum solo (which usually I dread). I thought the black jazz sounded good (they are all custom shops btw I saw his rack backstage) the jaco bass sounded good too, the only bass I thought sounded thin was the Ricky.