1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rush difficulty level

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bc2112, Dec 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bc2112

Bc2112

Nov 20, 2018
    So I want to play Rush. I am saving for a Rush tab book. I would like to know the order of difficulty of these songs. I know all Rush is hard but here's the list;The Big Money * Closer to the Heart * Distant Early Warning * Dreamline * Far Cry * Fly by Night * Freewill * Ghost of a Chance * The Larger Bowl * Limelight * New World Man * One Little Victory * Red Barchetta * Show Don't Tell * The Spirit of Radio * Subdivisions * Test for Echo * Tom Sawyer * The Trees * Vital Signs * Working Man * YYZ.
    Would like to play fly by night first. How insanely difficult is that? Thanks

2. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    I'd guess YYZ would be the hardest to me. But if you practice that book consistently not only will you be an awesome player but I'm sure you'll be able to get all of the songs down eventually.

3. Bc2112

Bc2112

Nov 20, 2018
    Thanks I plan to study that book like it's sacred like it is.

4. Bc2112

Bc2112

Nov 20, 2018
    Yeah not on a double bass. Wish I had one though

basspraiser and Pbassmanca like this.
  5. What no 2112???

But seriously, thats great! Nothing wrong with a little ambition. What you can do now is make a playlist of those songs, and just try to sing along to the bass line. Then make youre own list of what you think is easy to hard.

Then when the book comes, just look thru all the songs. Look for big stretches of the hand, fast/complex runs. Slower tempos will generally be friendlier, but not always.

Off the top of my head (without going thru and listening)
    Fly by night, freewill, closer to the heart, might be good picks.

Good luck

HolmeBass and eJake like this.
  6. Bc2112

Bc2112

Nov 20, 2018
    2112 is my favorite rush tune it's just not on the bass tab book. Shame. Thanks man

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

You might get more positive/less snarky responses over on the BG/Bass Guitar side of TB.
    You've stumbled onto the DB/Double Bass side of TB.
    We try not to Rush OR Drag over here. (See what I mean?)
    Good Luck.

JRA, HolmeBass, CayGee and 6 others like this.
  8. Bc2112

Bc2112

Nov 20, 2018
    Oops; not sure how to move it. I'm new to tb

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Limelight (pretty slow overall)
    Tom Sawyer (solo section is hardest)
    New World Man (maybe not, some faster stuff there)
    Closer to the Heart -- maybe tied for 3rd.
    ...after that, I think they all have some challenges.
    Distant Early Warning - main riff is doable, some open strings.

I think those are the easiest 3 or 4. Although, they all have a few fast notes. How long have you been playing, and what songs can you play well?

Pirate Captain likes this.
  10. Bc2112

Bc2112

Nov 20, 2018
    About a year. I can play nirvana pretty well. Teen Spirit come as you are; never wave Polly. Just an example.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  11. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd start with Limelight and Tom Sawyer.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  12. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Rush was my major influence once I heard them. I just loved the tone and how the bass covered the melodic lines of the song, instead of the traditional plodding along on the roots. I was classically trained on trumpet for many years before playing the bass, so thst melodic structure has always been ingrained in me.

The tools to learn these days are amazing. Go slow, work out the notes and slowly bring the tempo up once mastered at slower speeds. The Geddy sound is very reliant on the way he plays, and string choice. Running your action lower and banging the strings off the frets without choking the notes will be a challenge at first, but in time you will get it.

Stick with it and you will become a player above the normal bassists.

Next we will introduce you to Jaco, then Jamerson, etc. :)

Good luck!

retslock likes this.
  13. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I've notified the Moderators - they'll move it, I believe.
    Good Luck.

14. Bc2112

Bc2112

Nov 20, 2018
    Thanks

Pbassmanca and Don Kasper like this.
  15. Sebbyv

Sebbyv

Nov 27, 2014
    I don’t know, seems to me you would be better off learning them without a tab book

4dog, Schlyder and faulknersj like this.
  16. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with being a Geddy fan and wanting to learn Rush tunes, but I would say this: I think you'll pay Geddy greater homage by setting out to imitate him as a musician. That means don't just learn to copy his songs; learn his technique and build the same kind of knowledge of music he has. Find out who inspired HIM and learn THEIR music too. And, also, learn to walk before you run. If you jump right in trying to play Rush when you're a new bassist, you may only manage to frustrate yourself and then give up. Learn to play simpler bass lines first.

JRA, eJake, retslock and 5 others like this.
  17. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    I’m here to see 2112 on a upright

Jason42, JRA, dave64o and 11 others like this.
  18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    One thing people don’t think about:

Geddy took decades to learn all the Rush songs - maybe 10 or 12 during a good year. A little patience is in order; give yourself a break if it takes you a while to learn a tune.

skwee, HolmeBass, retslock and 4 others like this.
  19. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I'd pay cash money to see it. Although, lemme think, an arrangement, both pizz and bowed - it could be done. Awesomely.

skwee, HolmeBass, Dean N and 2 others like this.
  20. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Plus accordion and Stumpf fiddle. I’d watch that a couple times for sure.