1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rush difficulty level

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bc2112, Dec 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JonTishBASS

JonTishBASS

Jan 29, 2018
    The Big Money and YYZ are hard ones. I suggest playing Distant Early Warning or Freewill at first and then start doing the harder stuff

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Studying Geddy Lee will present separate challenges with each individual song.
    Foe example, a tune like YYZ is straight 4/4 with simple changes but has a busy line , needing a decent set of chops to play.
    Other songs have incredibly simple bass lines but utilize odd meter (3/4,5/4,7/4 etc ) , with sometimes strange subdivisions of the beat, so you have to count.
    (Examples of this might include a passage to Bangkok , Xanadu, La villa strangiato etc

Spidey2112 likes this.
  3. Vooter

Vooter Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Bronx, NY
    Hard. But it gets easier the more you do it. The bottom line is, it just takes work and practice. There's no substitute for that. You just have to be stubborn enough and driven enough to sit there and play something over and over again until it becomes second nature. And it will. And with each difficult song you learn, you'll slowly see how other bass players go about doing things, and you'll incorporate their little techniques and tricks into your own playing, and you'll slowly discover that you're not as terrible as you once were... :)

danielnorris, hintz and Spidey2112 like this.
  4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    This means there's hope!

Vooter likes this.
  5. Bc2112

Bc2112

Nov 20, 2018
    I would have bought that one, but it is only available on Kindle. I like paper better. But I have some professional tabs to 2112.

6. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Another thing, after you lean a few rush tunes, the learning curve drops off significantly.
    You’ll begin to notice that Geddy, like most musicians, have his personal style of phrasing and note choices that reoccur.
    Once you get those under your fingers the rest of his stuff will come to you more naturslly

7. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    "Working Man" is probably the least difficult overall -- the others vary a lot, depending on whether your left hand or your right needs more development.

For instance, "Tom Sawyer" is pretty easy...until the guitar solo section.

Learn pieces of each song that are playable for you now, and you'll start to get where Geddy is coming from...which will make the hard stuff easier to comprehend.

8. BASSKADET

BASSKADET Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    NC
  9. mattj1stc

mattj1stc Gold Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX USA
    Some of the Rush songs are definitely easier than others. Tom Sawyer is not easy, but at least it's in a key that utilizes some easier fingerings and positions. YYZ is a technical challenge and very difficult to get note perfect, I seem to be able to find the rhythms and bass line pretty well. The melodic lines like closer to the heart and red barchetta can really throw me. For some reason, the more driving songs are easier for me. How Geddy was able to play those lines, do all the keyboards and pedals, and sing - both as a performer and writer is really just a wonder to me. Anyway, each song is its own thing with its own quirks.

10. BlueMINI

BlueMINI

Sep 10, 2013
    Olympia, WA
    You may be best served by taking one song-- Fly By Night in your case, and work on it a bar at a time. Patterns exist and repeat even in Geddy's playing :D

Understanding the basics of music theory would help you identify which the important notes are, and which are the flowery (fill) notes. A music teacher will be able to help you out with this. Doing so just makes understanding the song easier, which makes learning the details (Geddy's playing) easier.

Just take it bar-by-bar, listen to the song, learn that small piece, and keep going. It may take a long time, but what you learn will translate to the next song... and the next... ;)

danielnorris likes this.
  11. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    If you look at the way he fingers the reason for the note choices also become apparent.

eJake and Lesfunk like this.
  12. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Im always hearing about YYZ here. I just went and put it on. I am a seasoned bass player and believe that I am totally capable of learning that song... BUT The absolute only reason that I could pull it off is because I have been taught how to practice effectively. Without these skills learning something like what I'm listening to will be really difficult.

I started out self taught, but it wasn't until I worked with some great private instructors that I felt I could accomplish something like that.

Having huge goals is awesome, but if one wants to be successful they have to know how to break that big goal down to achievable smaller pieces.

You got this, get to work!

13. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Red Sector A and Afterimage are super easy.

Jason42 and Spidey2112 like this.
  14. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I get it...

Chrisk-K likes this.
  15. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    also +1 to whoever shouted out using the slow down settings on youtube videos. Technology is amazing these days. use the free stuff first, if that aint working look into paid.

Spectrum and Spidey2112 like this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Flip it to Edgar Meyer. Bet he’d tackle it.

dave64o likes this.
  17. bassmahn

bassmahn

Mar 14, 2007
    Minneapolis MN
    Circumstances was more challenging for me to pick up than YYZ. There are so many riffs to learn in that song.

First Rush tune I figured out what What You're Doing. That song or Witch hunt would be a good place to start IMHO.

18. onamission

onamission Supporting Member

Go visit Troy's site on YouTube, Extensive listing of Rush songs.

TJH3113

19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Another great exercise!

bassmahn likes this.
  20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Troy's the man!

Slater likes this.