1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rush difficulty level

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bc2112, Dec 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. +1.
    It's also extremely useful to actually watch some of these lines being played - it makes stuff like the bridge of "Tom Sawyer" a bit easier.
    First Rush song I learned was "Leave That Thing Alone" from Counterparts. There's a couple of measures that are a bit tricky to figure out what he's playing, but it's not a terribly technical piece. Also no singing, in case you ever want to perform it.

onamission and Spidey2112 like this.
  2. That 2nd lick is tough... because, I think it was punched in and when you listen closely to the isolated version, it sounds like it was lifted out of an even longer lick... there's also some kind of a flangy-choursey type effect thing on a note or two as well....I've never heard Geddy play it EXACTLY like it sounds from the record live.. close but not exact...and I saw him play that part 48 times from 1981-2015.

Spectrum and Spidey2112 like this.
  3. alexgeddy

alexgeddy Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2007
    NJ
    To play all the way through I would New World man 1st, Ghost of a Chance, Show don't tell, Distant Early warning.. Working man is easy till you try to play through the guitar solo..Hardest part of YYZ is the bass breaks, Plus they were all dubbed in anyway... The rest you can put in any order you want .. I would make a cd or whatever you use to listen to music and listen to a few at a time. Also on a lot of songs there are more than one bass line going so don't let that fool you.. Plus he usesd altered tunings...
    Hope this helps

4. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    My advice- the world doesn't need a Geddy clone. Unless you are also going to learn to sing like him, and plan to do a Rush tribute band, it is pointless to learn every Rush song on bass.

Most of Geddy's licks are great. For Rush. They will not make you a good overall bass player, as the majority of songs do NOT call for his style.

Think of it this way, the licks in YYZ are ONLY applicable to YYZ.

(My favorite Ged line is Distant Early Warning, btw- which I think he may have actually used a pick on as well.)

Chrisk-K likes this.
  5. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Dreamline is about the only Rush song I can play. And I've tried a number of them.

I also have the book mentioned on previous page. If you want it, I would be happy to send it to you for free, you just pay postage. PM me.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  6. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Slater and Spidey2112 like this.
  7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Mom was right... I've failed as both a human, and a musician... my band is probably looking for an overall better bassist, as we type...

Slater and Spectrum like this.
  8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Humanity restored...

Holdsg likes this.
  9. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I know your're 5 response pages and counting, so I hope you're still reading these and not overloaded. I wanted to put my 2 cents worth in on what helps me learn tunes.

Pick one and stick with it until you've got it, well essentially got it... If I try to work on more than one tune at a time it usually slows down the works.

Speaking of slowing down the works, I like to identify tricky passages and work on those to a click or a drum beat at a slower tempo than the original recording. Once I get confident, I'll up the tempo until I meet the recording speed. - A trick you can do, along this line is to play up to where you can do it faster than the recording. When you slow your click down to the recorded tempo it will feel like a gift.

Work on a tune by breaking it down in "chunks". Don't go front to back and then slow down on the tough parts until you can play the whole thing "at speed". Doing it that way will take you longer.

Last thing. I don't want to discourage getting a book, but lots of tunes are online, especially if you can navigate tab. I run into mistakes in what I find online, but also find that some of it is spot-on, and lots in between. I've found the same true of books I've bought. A recent purchase I made was first 50 songs you should learn on bass. Let's just say I don't agree with all of their transcriptions. I definitely work thru it with pencil in hand....

There are "real" books. These are typically for Jazz standards, and are as perfect as possible. Other books, are "fake" books, which will give you a good representative recognizable version of the given tune, but won't be note for note.

Good luck and keep up the good work!!

five7 likes this.
  10. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    You have never played another persons basslines? I spent the late 80s figuring out Rush bass lines by ear and it was very important in my advancement as a player. I play tons of Geddy's stuff still, 32 years later, and while Im sure you are trying to help the OP, IMO it sounds like its pretty early into his playing career so I would say learn all the songs you can and then develop your own style.

obimark likes this.
  11. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    No. Geddy has said million times that he simply cannot use a pick to play bass.

Spidey2112 and Spirit of Ox like this.
  12. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    I think the hardest Rush song to play next to YYZ is Headlong Flight. Plus he sings while playing it!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  13. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Elitist Jazz Snob ******** Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shelter Island, NY USA
    Subdivisions is pretty easy all things considered (unless you are also trying to play the keyboard parts with your feet)

RyanOh likes this.
  14. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Not too difficult, but when does the rest of the band show up? That’s when it gets fun. JMO. Have at it, and post on your progress.

15. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd pay the postage for the OP, PM me for PayPal if he takes you up on it.

Holiday season on TB. Cheers.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  16. Threads like this always ring the naysayers and discouragers. "Don't ever use tabs", "Don't study Geddy or Rush" etc.

Don't listen to any of them. Everyone has to start somewhere, and for a bass player, Rush a good place to start. Obviously you're going to want to learn other stuff later, but you could do a lot worse than to study Geddy for help developing chops. And tabs can be a crutch, so try not to lean too hard on them, but they help when you're stuck.

Earlier I mentioned that Distant Early Warning was my first Rush song. But I want to mention Working Man, because it's unlike most later Rush prog songs in that it's essentially a blues-ish song with a lot of pentatonic action going on in it, and like most such songs you can improvise over it and have fun without playing it note-for-note, which many prog songs demand. In fact, the urge to improv over this song means I find it very difficult to actually nail exactly; it's just not necessary except for a few key licks.

Check it out:

No, seriously, check out his youtube channel. The Rickenbacker dream tone.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  17. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    IMHO the world needs many more bands like Rush, and even more so now Rush is done. However, you can play in the general style of Geddy without ever getting one of his parts right as you can use the riffs and patterns that work well for you just in the same way that Geddy uses similar phrases or parts of phrases across many songs.

Put another way, Geddy's playing pretty much always pronounces about as aboot, but you can use your own regional dialect too if you like, and don't have to be like an early Rolling Stones blues and sing it with a fake American accent. However, if you are a Geordie like Sting, you might want to tone your accent down a bit.

Spectrum and Spidey2112 like this.
  18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Very nice... cheers to you, as well.

RyanOh likes this.
  19. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    I guess I'm saying don't become a clone of any bassist. There was a time I could nail geddys lines from 20 rush tunes as well. But there is so much more to work on.

jgroh likes this.
  20. Gefilter1001

Gefilter1001

Apr 25, 2018
    Endorsing Artist - Tech 21, D'addario, Hipshot, Conquest Sound Cables
    Go for it!