Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rush fans

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by zilla04, Apr 5, 2000.

1. zilla04

zilla04

Feb 11, 2000
    Franklin
    I was just wondering what is the ez-est rush song to learn?

------------------
    "If it's to loud, your to old!"

2. bub

bub

Mar 21, 2000
    fly by night, i guess. (although i'm not a rush fan)

3. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    "Working Man" (I am a Rush fan).

4. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Lump, I don't know, that solo section may be a challenge. I would say "In the End" from Fly by Night or "Take a Friend" from the first album.

------------------
    Paul

5. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    One of my first songs I ever learned on bass was Vital Signs from Moving Pictures. There's alot of movement which is not all that difficult to figure out or play. However, it's a fun tune to play and you can impress your friends by saying that you know how to play a Rush tune off that album. Of course after you play it for them, they'll want you to play YYZ. Have fun!!! [​IMG]

6. dryan

dryan

Feb 5, 2000
    far and away the easiest is Tom Sawyer.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The basic bassline from "Roll the Bones" is also pretty easy.

Will C. [​IMG]

8. in_exile

in_exile

Feb 14, 2000
    They are ling to you. Easiest is "Red Sector A". But it's not the coolest song to play.

9. zilla04

zilla04

Feb 11, 2000
    Franklin
    All right then in_exile, what's the coolest song to play?

------------------
    "If it's to loud, your to old!"

10. Bassmonster

Bassmonster

Mar 24, 2000
    Tom Sawyer is the easiest Rush song I know. Most Rush songs just follow the guitar and then put a little twist in them.

11. 'Scuse me? Most Rush songs "just follow the guitar?"

12. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    The coolest? "La Villa Strangiato"
    Damn Dave, you beat me to it. Bassmonster don't know Rush [​IMG]

------------------
    Paul

13. Ahhhh.. "La Villa Strangiato".. it still escapes me to this day. When I nail that one I'll retire. My favorite is still "Red Barchetta" but that's probably because I can play it. Also, "Lessons" from side two of 2112 and "Circumstances" from Hemispheres.

14. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Yes, great tunes! I love playing "Circumstances" How about "Free Will" or "Digital Man"

------------------
    Paul

15. Player, more good ones!! I can play "Free Will". I should really sit down with "Digital Man" too, what a killer line. How 'bout "Turn the Page", or "Anthem"? We could go on all day with this! [​IMG]

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Here's an interesting one...Big Money. Fairly decent song, but a really interesting bass line. It took me years to understand exactly what he did in the verse with the right hand. Now, piece of cake. Interesting, nonetheless...

Also really like a lot of the newer stuff (many may feel I'm alone on this), but the last two albums really rock! Especially Counterparts...they're mostly tuned normal EADG, unlike T4E, so I don't have to mess around. They're so syncopated and the groove is so fun, that I almost forget that my left hand doesn't have to do as much work as when I play older stuff!

I guess I just like the groove in newer Rush...

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Oh...I almost forgot to mention Hemispheres...Still my ALL TIME FAVORITE song by ANYONE to play!!!

18. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Oh yes, nice to see Rush fans! Still can't believe they haven't made the RR hall of fame yet. What's the deal???

Easiest, by far, is "Half the World"....great song as well.

Personal Favs to play are "Lakeside Park", "Red Barchetta", "Closer to the Heart-live version".

kent

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAM:

Also really like a lot of the newer stuff (many may feel I'm alone on this), but the last two albums really rock!
    I guess I just like the groove in newer Rush...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, I have every Rush recording ever made, and though I like the 2nd-6th albums best, I must admit that CP and TFE are next on the list.. for old white canadians those boys are getting funkier as they get older [​IMG]

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

20. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by in_exile:
    They are ling to you. Easiest is "Red Sector A". But it's not the coolest song to play.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both times I've seen Rush live I don't remember Geddy playing any bass on Red sector A (although it is a killer song)but I have to agree that Tom Sawyer is the easiest to play and the all time best to play IMHO will always be YYZ. [​IMG]