Rush Fans..

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tonto_Goldstein, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    What type of basses does Geddy Lee play? I know he has used a Fender Jazz and a Steinberger. I just watched their concert video "Show of Hands" and I couldn't get a good look at Geddy's bass. Anyone know what he was playing in the video? I do remember hearing about Geddy playing a Ric too, but I don't know for sure.
  2. Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    I figured someone would be able to help.
  3. Hey nice screen name Tonto, does that have anything to do with NAN?
  4. Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Probably not, since I don't recognize what NAN stands for...hehe...Is it something obvious?
  5. Well it is an old joke about a flight attendant with a nametag that says NAN. A person on the plane says "Hi Nan" she says, "My Name is not Nan"
    He says "so why the tag that says Nan?"
    She says, "Oh NAN stands for . . ."

If you don't know the joke I ask how did you come up with the name?
  6. Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Its not terribly exciting, but here it goes...My birth father was American Indian (God rest his soul) and my adoptive father was Jewish. I figured what better way to honor both heritages and make people laugh. Kinda sounds like a character from "Blazing Saddles" too :D
  7. Wow, that’s pretty cool.
    I might as tell you the rest of the story incase you haven’t heard it.

So the very attractive flight attendant says no my name is Jill, NAN is a badge from a research company I work for, the company is called the National Association of Nymphomaniacs. We do research on different cultures and their sexual prowess.

The man says hmm, what have you found out so far?
    She says well we have found out that men that are American Indians are usually the most endowed and Jewish men usually last the longest in bed.

Then she says I am glad you are so interested but I didn’t catch your name.

To which he replies . . .

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    LMAO!!! I need a good laugh. :)
  9. Geedy Lee has mainly used Wal Basses, Rickenbackers, Steinbergers, he has been seen using a Fender P-Bass from time to time. But, his most famous bass is the Fender Jazz bass that he used with Rush and now on his solo album.
    Fender did a re-issue of his bass as his signature model. I bought one and its my pride and joy. I'm just too scared to play it. If you ever get a chance to play or buy one, I recommend you do. You'll be the happiest man alive.
  10. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was totally unhappy with mine. It was the best playing bass I ever owned, but the tone was weak. I sold it after 2 months. The BadAssII added great sustain though.

I would recommend buying the 75 reissue which has virtually the same neck and the American pups in it. It will be my next bass purchase.

Just my opinion.
  11. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I believe the Geddy does have American pickups in it even though it is assembled in Japan. I think that is the 'Crafted in Japan' designation on the neck.

The bass is assembled in Japan, but with some of the parts being USA made. I think the pickups are one of the US made parts in that particular bass.
  12. Your correct. It is made in Japan but the pick ups are American
  13. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i concede then. but i still hated the tone, and damn did it play smoooooooth!
  14. while were on the subject, has anyone got information of geddys p bass. i've read the rush biography and it contains a photo of ged playing the p after it was converted to a teardrop body and head design. it looks like a j pup was also added. ive toyed with the idea of buying a "cheap" p bass copy and doing the same thing. if only to hang it on the wall for fun. come on rush fans, i need help.
  15. Geddy used that Precision, a '68 IIRC, on the first album. He used his Fly By Night advance to buy a Rickenbacker 4001 so he could be like Chris Squire; he then had the body cut down to a teardrop shape, added a J pickup at the bridge, and had the whole thing painted some godawful color (pink, I believe, although it may have been purple).

What a waste of a good instrument :(
  16. Hey fretbuzz,
    If you want to buy a cheap P-Bass I recommend the Fender Standard Precision Bass. Its made in Mexico and goes for about $500 canadian(unsure of American price.) Check it out.