Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rush in Rio: Geddy Rocks!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Mar 28, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, just heard the "Rush in Rio" concert for the first time. What an amazing show. The Rush fans in Brazil seem to be very enthusiastic. Great recording! Just wondering, what kind of rig does Geddy use? It sounds like he has a bunch of different sounds he uses, are those all stompbox effects?

2. I thought his tone was awesome in Rush In Rio.

But then again, I guess it was a (little) too bright.

3. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    The Japanese version of the Rush in Rio CD includes a copy of the tour program for the Vapor Trails Tour 2002:

Hi There, This is the space where I'm supposed to list my, er . . . equipment . . . It's not very long, but it's terribly exciting to look at . . . I'm talking about my list of course, So get your mind out of the gutter and get ready for the ultra compelling

LIST OF EQUIPMENT I WILL BE USING ON THE VAPOR TRAILS TOUR

1 Fender Jazz Bass circa 1972/4 Fender Jazz Basses circa 1996
    Avalon US Tube Direct box - for that "clean" sound/SansAmp R.B.I. Bass preamp by Tech 21 - for that "dirty" sound
    Palmer-PDI-O5 Speaker Simulator - for that "big bottom"/Trace Elliot QUATRA-VR power amps
    Roland XV-5080 Sampler/Synthesizers/Roland and Korg midi foot pedals/Roland D-50 Synthesizer/3 Maytag dryers (coin operated). . .

By the way (this is my voice now, not Geddy's), if you have a high-speed connection you should go to Rush's website (www.rush.com) and check out the "interviews" with Geddy and other fun stuff. Also, www.rushinrio.com tells how to find the easter eggs in the dvd - the animated sequence during "By-Tor and the Snow-Dog" and a video clip of "Anthem"!

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I just bought this last night. I really enjoyed it, but as I was watching it, a couple of things did come to mind.

I'm starting to worry about Alex, he's gaining alot of weight & I don't want him to croak or anything. Regarding tone, there was a number of times where I thought something got lost in the mix, & not just in the basslines. The chopblocks in Xanadu were barely perceivable, IMHO, Alex was really tough to hear, early in the show. In fact, I think maybe they keyboards had a bit too much presence & overshadowed.
    Even Geddy's voice was tough to make out at timnes.

Then again, I did just watch it on a TV, rather than popping it into the home theater. Maybe watching/hearing it there will clean it up some?

Don't get me wrong, I did say I enjoyed it... ALOT. That IS a big venue, & Rush has always had alot going on in thier music. The probably one of the reasons were Rush fans, ya know?

5. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Please keep in mind the crazy conditions under which this DVD was recorded. I've read lots of people's complaints here in this thread, as well as others. Of course, everyone's entitled to their opinion. However, I think that we are extremely blessed to have this record of an amazing Rush concert. It may not be under ideal conditions, but I think it is a testament to the legend of Rush that they recorded and released it. Watch the documentary about the making of the concert DVD, then post again please!!!

McHack - this is not a rant against you by any means. I just feel that this DVD has been unjustly criticized while there's so much s**t out there that just passes as acceptable, while this record of a band of mythical proportions goes under the ringer *archaic washing machine analogy intended*

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    No rant taken... Actually, the others scrutiny is what prompted me to post. I was basically echoing,, "yea, it wasn't studio perfect,,, but I still really enjoyed it". They have sooooo much going on. Actually, in retrospect, I can't say I've ever heard a Live Rush recording, that I thought did thier studio work justice. Exit... Stage Left is a CD that I loved, & the performances were great (as on Rush in Rio),,, but the quality of it was just, bleh.

IMHO, Rush in Rio is a huge advancement in the quality of recording,,, of thier live stuff..

7. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA

Also keep in mind, for this show, RUSH was unable to get a sound check due to the weather. On the documentary disc (disc 2) they explain the difficulties they were having due to the weather.

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I caught the 30th Anniversary Tour a few weeks back, and it looks as if both Alex and Geddy have shed a decent amount of weight. On the RiR DVD Geddy can be seen sporting more than a bit of a tummy, and that appears to be gone - Alex, on the other hand, looks to be in considerably better shape than on the DVD. Also realize that the Rio show was the last show of a long tour, and I'd think meals "on the road" aren't exactly the healthiest. Thus the increased weight.

To the point: the DVD filming caught them at the worst point, and they appear to be much slimmer/healthier now. They even have a nutritionist on tour as listed in the tourbook. :D