Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rush in rio...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Suckbird, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    So i have recently growing more and more on rush but i havent heard much of them but they seem to be great so i was thinking about buying a cd but then i saw they had a Rush in rio live dvd and it's funnier watch and hear than just hear..

So how is this dvd?

I'm going to learn some of their tracks and play along too, for fun! :bassist:

EDIT: I found out that the Rush in rio cd was more expensive than their dvd, what's up with this?

2. thunderthief_29

thunderthief_29

Nov 20, 2004
    Lancs, Uk
    I bought the Rush 'Live in Rio' Dvd, because I remembered quite liking them when i was younger. Man this is probably one of, if not the best Live Dvd I have seen. Rush are now one my all time fav bands, such a huge sound for a three piece. And Neil Pearts Kit has to be seen to be believed!!!

Buy it, you wont regret it!!!

Mike

3. Good music, bad production.

Wonderful cinematography.

Look for the Easter Egg containing the By-Tor cartoon.

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Great DVD.

Too much crowd noise.

Of course, if yo watch the "extra material" you'll see they didn't have time for a sound or tech check or anything for the show they taped. Not an excuse, but something to consider.

Makes me want a GL Jazz bass every time.

5. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Highly recommended DVD
    I agree that the production is not the best (they had a lot trouble during the recording), but it`s a great testimony.

Also, it`s an incredible opportunity to see a historical concert (has anyone ever heard any other crowd singing "YYZ" ?).
    You can also get "A show of Hands".
    It`s also good buy completely different (more eightish, another bass sound, more keys, better film production)

6. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Wow, now i'm looking forward to order and watch thise movie :cool:

Also, i have heard that geddy lee is playing synth with his feets, is this true? sounds pretty impossible to me..

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    This is a great DVD. The performance and (especially) the crowd going nuts more than makes up for the not-stellar-but-not-horrible production. Worth the money and then some, IMO.

Geddy and Alex both have been triggering synth patches and sections with foot pedals for many years now.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Great DVD! Best live performance DVD I have ever seen. Yeah, the audio production could be better, but the video is awesome.

9. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Amazing DVD, it made me into a Rush fanatic! :bassist: It's cool that they pull out some old stuff like Cygnus X-1 and By-Tor, and more obscure tunes like Natural Science and La Villa Strangiato.

10. Im going to get slightly annoyed if they don't release "Exit..Stage Left" on DVD soon. My VHS is almost worn out.

Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson have long used pedals to trigger samples or (in Geddy's case) play synth lines. The motivation behind it is that they could have just brought in another muso for their live performances, but they always felt that it should be performed by the trio that ARE Rush.

I agree with all the above comments about "..In Rio", but I'm just a happy camper that we even got another album and tour after Neil's personal issues. And "Feedback" is fun too. Been nagging my band to do "Heartful Of Soul" but they are wary of anything made before they were born. Dicks.....

11. Theodeus

Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    I don´t know what´s wrong with me, but I haven´t seen the entire DVD yet without falling asleep. :help:

12. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    nar·co·lep·sy Audio pronunciation of "narcoleptic" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (närk-lps)
    n. pl. nar·co·lep·sies

A disorder characterized by sudden and uncontrollable, though often brief, attacks of deep sleep, sometimes accompanied by paralysis and hallucinations.

13. Theodeus

Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden

Whatever.

Another strange thing about the DVD is when Geddy dresses like a woman, comes out of the TV and kiss my mother.

:eyebrow:

14. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I've been a fan of Rush longer than some of you have been breathing, but that's another story.....

The Rush in Rio DVD isn't perfect, but what live concert production is? These guys are over 50 years old, have had massive personal misfortune (think Neil with his wife and daughter) and still rock like there's no tomorrow. The joy that comes through in thier playing more than makes up for the "warts" in the overall production of the show. I usually watch this in my basement while I am on the treadmill - I set up an awesome surround sound system with a large screen TV there. I find this DVD inspiring every time I watch it, for no other reason but that these guys have perservered for thirty years as a largely undergound phenomenon, with little commercial exposure. A band like this would never get signed in todays music environment.

A funny story - I recently took my 11 year old daughter to a local music store to pick up accessories for her clarinet. On the monitor was Led Zeppelin playing Achillies Last Stand. My daughter looked up and said "Dad, these guys sound like Rush!" I got a chuckle out of this. Then the kid behind the counter looked at her and said - "enjoy them - music like this is never coming back! " Sad but true. :crying:

15. The Rush in Rio DVD is great, and definitely worth your money. Geddy and the boys cover a pretty impressive amount of material and, as always, are spot-on in their performance. It's one of those DVD's that just makes you want to be a rock star. Some cool little extras too.

Highly recommended. :)