Rush in Seattle. Awesome show!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lildrgn, Jul 4, 2004.

1. lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I was given two VIP tickets to last night's Rush show at the White River Amphitheater in Auburn (south of Seattle), WA. Did I mention they were VIP???

Anyway, I saw Rush on the T4E and VT tours, both long shows, both at the Gorge, both standing for the entire show with dudes bigger than me in front of me. Very tiring. But last night, in the VIP area, I had an UNOBSTRUCTED view of the entire stage. I was a little right (Geddy's side) of center stage and it was sweet! With the binocs at the ready, the view was great.

Then there was the sound. What a great sounding venue! There were points when Alex could've been boosted a hair, but from where we were (maybe 30 feet from the soundbooth), it sounded really good.

My bass playing was really inspired by Geddy when I was younger, but the way he's been playing since the Counterparts days (back and forth with the index finger, speedy-like) has driven me nuts. He does it ALL THE TIME live (and on recordings too!) and it really muddies up the bottom end. Think of the studio version of YYZ under the guitar solo. Cool stuff. Now, live, it's just digga-digga-digga-digga-digga, etc. Very busy, very annoying.

Other than that (and I can look past that. Really, I can!), the show was awesome. VIP made a real big difference, as I wasn't planning on going (no $$$). Oh, yeah, I took a bunch of pix and you can see them here. Just look up the Rush in Seattle album and enjoy.

2. Cool! Thanks for the pics. I'm seeing them four weeks from today in Atlanta. I heard they're selling a set of Geddy, Alex and Neil bobblehead dolls! I might have to go for that instead of a T-shirt..
  3. Cool. I'm going at PNC in New Jersey in August. No one my age seems to like rush so I am going with my sister anf her boyfriend. I can't wait ^^
  4. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah his technique is crazy these days. I don't know how he does it without totally destroying his right hand. I remember back several years (Roll the Bones tour I believe) where it seemed like it was the point where he started flirting around with that style: in between a couple songs he kinda goofed off and did some of that digga-digga-digga stuff briefly. And sure enough on the next album (Counterparts) we started getting the digga-digga in full effect.
  5. Is that a vending machine next to Geddy's dryers?

And it's also good to see that Neil's set is bigger than there last tour. :cool:

Looked like a sweet show.
  6. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    8 more days, until the Sacramento show.
    It's gonna be great.

Thanks for the pics.
    Also, it's cool how things worked out for ya, VIP tix out of the blue.
    Cool stuff.
  7. lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Yup, a vending machine. Complete with rotating selection!

Neil's electric kit has a kick drum that lights up. Quite cool.
  8. july 16th for me in pheonix at the cricekt pavilion i cant wait!!!
  9. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I am seeing Rush TOMORROW NIGHT SUCKERS!
  10. Saw the Seattle show, too. Simply amazing sound quality!
    Iwas in the grass section (a lot of grass was in the air as well,
    IYKWIM) and the show sounded like a CD.
  11. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    The show at the bowl was good- everyone was nice and drunk and/or stoned.