Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rush Kicks off Tour Tonight!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by WillPlay4Food, Jun 28, 2002.

1. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    . . . and I'll be there!!!

Woohooo!!! Can't wait only 8 more hours 'til they hit the stage!! Yay!!

Ahhh there, I feel much better now that I got that outa my system.

cya! :D :cool: :p

2. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Awesome. If its not to much to ask could you copy down the setlist or something. Im interested in what songs they will be playing.

3. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    As long as I can get a pen/pencil into the show (post 9/11 security can be a beyotch, and this is the venue where they needed to bring in riot squads because Dave Matthew's Band fans were burning cars in the parking lot?!?!) I will grab all the songs I know. There's some albums between Signals and Presto I haven't gotten completely familiar with.

So yea, I'll fill in whatever I know. Hopefully it'll be like the '97 show I saw, and they'll minimize the new stuff, and do 2112 in its entirety, Xanadu, etc. Cygnus X-1 would be totally grooving.

4. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Thanks that would be awesome if you could get a pen and pencil in. Enjoy the show.:)

5. * In old granny voice *

Oh, those Dave Mathews Band fans are nothing but a bunch of trouble makers!

*Granny voice off *

Whats becoming of the world? :rolleyes:

6. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    [edit] removed crap nobody cares about [/edit]

7. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    First off, totally awesome show!!! :D :cool:

They totally blew me away, I'm thinking about catching a couple more shows :)

Set 1:
    Tom Sawyer (glad they got it out of the way early)
    Distant Early Warning
    New World Man
    Roll the Bones
    Earthshine (from Vapor Trails)
    YYZ
    The Pass
    Bravado
    Big Money
    Between the Sun & Moon (billed as first time ever playing this song live, and was dedicated to Entwhistle)
    Vital Signs
    Natural Science

Set 2:
    One Little Victory (Vapor Trails)
    Some song I don't know the name of, but lyrics include ""Driven to the Edge of Control" If someone can clue me in on this tune, I'd appreciate it.
    Ceiling Unlimited (Vapor Trails)
    Secret Touch (more Vapor Trails)
    Dreamline
    Red Sector A
    Some NEW instrumental I had never heard before
    DRUM SOLO
    Geddy & Alex acoustic jam "I Can Learn"
    Again, if anyone has a clue to official song title, I'd love to know it.
    2112 Temple of Syrinx, they continued past "and the meek shall inherit the Earth" and stopped right where the acoustic guitar would've started
    Limelight
    La Villa Strangiatio (slighty extended jam)
    Spirit of Radio

Encore:
    By-Tor & the Snow Dog
    Cygnus X-1 (from A Farewell to Kings)
    into Working Man

End of show. Elapsed time, roughly 3 hours including a 15-20 minute break.

The sound was excellent (outdoor show), and the band was tight. Only two flukes I noticed. In the first set, there was one song where the whole band had to rush a verse to catchup to the synth which must've been pre-programmed with the song they were playing. The second goof was that Geddy came in a bar early on a line, but no biggie.

The light show was good. There was plenty of CG eye candy for most of their tunes. There was some pyro in the second set. They brought out the LASER cannons during the second set as well.

All in all, a totally grooving show! I'd definitely go see them again (3rd time now).

8. That'd be "Driven," the second track on Test for Echo, and a bitchin' tune. Did Geddy play his customary bass solo during it?

9. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Thanks for the list. No "Free Will" :(

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    That would be "Resist" from T4E! :D Good tune...

11. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Gard and Peter McFerrin

Thanks for your help on the titles. Guess I'll have to finish my collection of Rush CDs at some point. :D

I don't know if Geddy did his customary solo on Driven as I had never heard that song before. What I DO know is the band was on fire, and they all looked and sounded like they were happy to be back on stage. They all had huge ear to ear smiles through the whole show.

If you can, you owe it to yourself to see them on this tour.

12. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    This surprised me too, as the first two times I saw them, they played Limelight and Freewill back to back.

Still, an awesome show all round. No complaints here. :D

13. Wow!
    The Pass is a great song.
    By-tor & the Snow Dog! Awesome!
    YYZ AND La Villa Strangiatio!
    Natural Science AND Cygnus X-1!

I'm seeing them at the end of August.
    Here's still hoping that they will do Hemispheres, they have been toying with that idea.

As the tour goes forth, they are supposed to drop songs and add others.

I hope to see them do Red Barchetta, Losing It, Red Tide, Marathon, Panacea, Here Again (hey Gard! That's the one!) Lock and Key, and maybe just maybe....

Didacts and Narpets! Ha!

~Ad

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Oh yeah!!! Duh..."Here Again"....good tune, at least I always dug it, my favorite from the first album, you'd think I'd remember the title of it! :eek:

"Losing It" would be cool, but unless they drag Ben Mink out on the road for a stretch, it's not likely. All those cool violin parts make that song work for me, it would be missing too much if they weren't there.

I hope they do "Bytor and the Snowdog" on the Tampa stop, that's where I'll see them. "Hemispheres" would be fun too!!! :D

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Thanks for the heads up on their songlist.
    I'll be seeing them Sunday, June 7th in NY.

16. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Couldn't get enough of them the first time around so . . .

A friend of mine was on vacation last week and he couldn't go to the show so I was like, let's do a road trip! He was into it so we're heading up to SPAC tomorrow! Woohoo! Gotta love it, Rush twice in two weeks!

17. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Figured out that the funky instrumental is "Leave That Thing Alone" from Counterparts.

At SPAC, the only differences from Hartford were they played "Ghost Rider" instead of Ceiling Unlimited. Also, they have definitely loosened up some, as they jammed much more during the second set. They did an especially excellent jam of "Secret Touch".