Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rush - "Live in Rio" - Question for the drummers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Dec 30, 2003.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I THINK this belongs in Misc :) But we'll see. I don't feel like trying to find a drummer forum to post in so I'm trying it here.

I just got the Rush "Live in Rio" DVD. Do any of you guys who also play drums know why Neil seems to have switched back to matched grip instead of traditional (atleast during the show, not his warm up)

The drummer side of me was just curious :)

2. i would suspect it has something to do with his lessons with freddie gruber, the ergonomics guru. freddie always espouses the "natural" way to play, and for a lot of drummers, that now means using matched grip.

i myself go back and forth between the two. i don't think there are any hard-and-fast rules, so long as your technique is basically intact and you don't injure your hands.

man, i am itchin' to play right now. if only i could bring my kit to work.

:mad:

3. I wasn't aware that he had changed back to matched grip from side drum grip. If that is the case, it could be due to a lot of things such as personal preference or an injury. I thought he was into the whole Freddy Gruber thing.

If you check their web site, the photos from Live in Rio show him playing with a traditional side drum grip, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    You'll note that he changes grip from time to time.
    In his solo he switches from matched to traditional for the rudimental snare work, for instance. I believe he has stated that he can't get the powerful stroke he needs for the snare with trad grip. It is definitely easier to get a solid stroke with the matched grip, but he's still using the traditional here and there.
    Looks like Freddie's advice on the dancer's shoes stuck though.
    And what's up with that stick-breaking?

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I just got the DVD and was just watching certain songs. I haven't sat through the whole thing yet. But everytime I saw him, he was using match. I'm just used to the T.F.E. video I guess :)

Well on one song (I forget which one) he isn't doing a traditional rim click, he's just nailing the rim with his stick, so I'm not surprised if he broke a few :)