1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Submission Rush - Moving Pictures LP

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Jamey Pittman, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Jamey Pittman

Jamey Pittman

Jan 14, 2016
    Contain both standard notation and TAB (see attached PDFs).

After my recent discovery of the isolated studio bass tracks for Rush's Moving Pictures album (all available on YouTube), I decided to make a spare time project out of carefully analyzing and transcribing all of Geddy Lee's bass parts as precisely as possible. All seven songs are included for download below. I enjoy digging into isolated tracks like these, even if I already know the songs. A variety of little passages and melodic embellishments in a bass player's performance are audible that are often impossible to discern from the final song mix.

As with all the other transcribed music I've uploaded here, I strive for maximum accuracy. This often includes a great deal audio file analysis and (when possible) video research in order to verify the correct neck/fingering positions are represented faithfully. All transcriptions are made using MuseScore, an excellent (and free) music composition program. Anyone interested in the MuseScore files for these songs can send me a PM.

And here's the list of other transcriptions I've submitted to the forum:
    Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
    Paradise City - Guns N' Roses
    Orion - Metallica
    Funk #49 - James Gang
    Creeping Death - Metallica
    Battery - Metallica
    Master of Puppets - Metallica
    Welcome to the Jungle - Guns N' Roses
    Rocket Queen - Guns N' Roses
    Mr. Brownstone - Guns N' Roses

Enjoy,

J

Attached Files:

2. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    Wow....nice job!

Alik and Jamey Pittman like this.
  3. Tbsx

Tbsx Troll Banned

Sep 12, 2017
    Excellent!
    Many thanks.
    I've got the musescore but have not figured out how to work it. It automatically puts rests in the measures, then I can't get rid of them when I figure out what notes to use.

Jamey Pittman likes this.
  4. Jamey Pittman

Jamey Pittman

Jan 14, 2016
    You're welcome!

There's definitely a learning curve to overcome before MuseScore can be used effectively, but it's really not that bad once you get the hang of it. I'd suggest perusing their forums, and reading the available FAQs and tutorials.

5. MontzterMash

MontzterMash Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Thanks!

6. Awesome job. Thanks for sharing with us.

7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Thanks for sharing.
    FYI
    Rush has a bass book with some decent charts.
    Used it to teach a student. Pretty accurate.

Tbsx and Jamey Pittman like this.
  8. Jamey Pittman

Jamey Pittman

Jan 14, 2016
    You're welcome.

I'm sure there are many books available of varying quality—some good, some not so good. But unless the transcriptions were made using the isolated bass tracks as a reference, and the individual doing the transcriptions was as obsessively fastidious as I happen to be, I'm quite sure there was room for improvement (there almost always is).

To put it another way, "pretty accurate" doesn't cut it for me. :)

9. It's like trying to read a book and there are spelling mistakes and missing words. If not 100%, I don't want to read it :)

Jamey Pittman and byoung93888 like this.
  10. byoung93888

byoung93888 Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Great job, thanks!